(Closed) The hideous, the bad & the ugly: share your bad presents!

posted 8 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
3219 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

OMG mine was sat and that is what I was DREADING!!!! But i have to say i only got 1 gift I wasnt crazy about and FH actully liked it! for only 15 adults I scored some pretty sweet stuff!

Post # 4
439 posts
Helper bee

Not a wedding gift, but my stepmother gave me an embroidered Winnie the Pooh button down shirt for my 25th birthday.  Fortunately, my friends and I do a “crap swap” after Christmas every year, so someone else now owns that treasure of a shirt.

My stepmother is notorious for bad gifts.  She gave my Fiance a set of knives last Christmas that were so cheap, you could bend them in half.

Post # 5
651 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Not mine, but when my parents got married my dad’s frat brother gave them a plastic spitoon.  Haha, neither of them chew tobacco so I think that was trashed or regifted or something. 

Post # 7
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

FI’s stepmother gave me a few really cute bride/groom items like sleeping masks for the airplane and Mr & Mrs Passport holders with lovebirds on them. BUT she gave me this brooch/pin that said bridesmaid and was a bit tarnished and old looking, it had clearly come out of a bargain bin. I opened it and was like “oh…… a bridesmaid pin……………” and she ran over to see and was somewhat embarassed, I mean obviously she wasn’t paying attention or not wearing her glasses when she bought it. But then she just left it with me. She didn’t take it back so she could exchange it or whatever, she just walked away. So now I have this really ugly tarnished old pin and I’m clearly not going to make ONE of my six bridesmaids wear it. It sort of looks like this, but it’s uglier. Wicked. Thanks.

She also gave us this awful stainless steel cutlery for part of our wedding gift, lied about where she bought it (I know where she got it and the store is now shut, it was a scam to start with), and then told me to remove the cutlery we had on our registry since we now had hers. Ummm no. She’s the worst gift giver EVER. Nothing ever comes with a gift receipt so if it’s broken or doesn’t fit, you can’t exchange or return it. She once made Fiance smell shoes she bought him. I wish I was kidding. Christmas afternoon with his stepmother yelling “SMELL THE SHOES!!!!! SMELL THE SHOES!!!!!”. I must really love this man…

Post # 9
10851 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@gurlwithapen: That they were real leather. SMELL THE SHOES!!!!! She’s ridiculous.

Post # 10
83 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

A juicer with food stains on and in it which we learned from an internet search was manufactured 15 years ago and recalled almost 10 years ago.  We’re not sure what to do with it because we don’t want someone to take it out of the trash thinking that it’s a usable product!

Post # 11
240 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

We got a serving tray with our new last name engraved in the center–misspelled!  It’s kind of a kitchy piece so we actually have it on display on our shelves.  Our friends get a kick out of it.  

Post # 12
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Shower gift: Vacuum bags.

no joke.

Post # 13
1363 posts
Bumble bee

A dildo.

from Mother-In-Law.

At my FORMAL bridal shower.

Post # 14
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

I actually have a really heartfelt story about my worst present 🙂

I set up full registries at 3 different stores for every item imaginable, so I didn’t get many off-registry ‘duplicates’ for things I registered for. But my great aunt for some reason ignored my registry and bought me a really ugly heavy metal salad bowl with matching tongs. I was a little ticked off at the time because i had already registered for a salad bowl that was my own style and this thing was absolutely hideous and not returnable since it was from one of those frou frou boutiques for old people. My plan was to sell the thing on ebay as soon as possible.

Fast forward 1 year, Darling Husband and I are finally getting all of our wedding presents back from my parents house after we moved into our big new apartment. Darling Husband is really neat, so he was in charge of unpacking and arranging all the gifts in their new permanent locations. I look at the shelf above our cabinets in the kitchen where he put things like our kitchenaid mixer, serving trays, etc. and there is that damn salad bowl. I immediately belted out “Ugh there is that ugly salad bowl, get that thing down so I can throw it out” and Darling Husband looked at me with a sad little puppy face and said “Oh really? I like it a lot and read the card that came with it explaining the significance of the design and the store it came from”. I felt so horrible and gave him a big hug 🙂

The salad bowl now lives in our new kitchen, where it will stay forever.

Post # 15
80 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@Just_squeeze

o.m.g!!!

Post # 16
3624 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@Just_Squeeze: seriously! What was she thinking!? Was it a joke? lol… I’d be so embarrassed!

The topic ‘The hideous, the bad & the ugly: share your bad presents!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors