(Closed) The Housewife

posted 10 years ago in Married Life
  • poll: What is your opinion of housewives?

I'd love to be one, but the idea makes me feel guilty for not contributing to the household income.

I respect women who choose to be one, but it isn't the right choice for me.

I want to be one, but we can't afford to live on only his income.

It is not for me, and I have a little ill-will towards those who choose that lifestyle.

Other - I'll explain below!

I already am a SAHW or plan to be one in the future

• Post # 155
    614 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2010

At this moment, the idea really appeals to me. However, i’m like @katNYC2011 and I would end up being a barn wife, because I wish I could spend all my time with horses. One income does not make for a happy horse life. Heck, our 2 incomes right now is pushing it and I’m not even showing at the moment. But I digress.

I would love to be able to keep our house clean and cook more. I would love to write a book and freelance, instead of going to an office every day. I would love to volunteer. I don’t have kids yet, but I would love to be a Stay-At-Home Mom while they are young.

Yes, I have a college degree and a “great” job. But I accomplished everything in the work place that I set out to do and now I’m stagnant, not work happy, and have no other options. Keeping a beautiful home, volunteering and RIDING HORSES sounds a whole lot more appealing right now.

Post # 156
    2017 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

View original reply
    @AnnieAAA:

Yes, I would agree to that statement! Even though I had help, I was the one up all night with a crying baby, nursing around the clock. And getting up at six every morning to cook breakfast, make lunches and get out the door to make the school bus, etc. The demands on your time and attention are staggering. It is seriously easier to escape to an office than to spend all day with small children. No doubt. But being at home with just a husband to take care of is work too. I think by taking care of the house and his needs, he is freed up to focus on bringing home a check instead of having to come home to chores. It’s a team effort. All that goes out the window when both work full-time. All bets are off and he needs to step up and split the housework. Whew! Long-winded again.

Post # 157
    353 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

Really, all it comes down to is an issue of money.  It would be great to be able to follow your dreams and passions without any other time sinks to hold you back, but many people do not have the resources.  I bet a lot of people are reading this thread, stuck in a job they hate with no other choice than to stick with it because they are there solely for the income. 

Doesn’t apply to me because of my financial paranoia, but I can recognize that if I step into someone else’s shoes.

Post # 158
    3010 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

This little lady wants to be one, but it may not happen.  It could later on in our lives if he has a successful future plumbing business.  I’m not getting ahead of myself though.

Post # 159
    1289 posts
    Bumble bee

I plan on being one when we have children. I have a degree and I don’t see anything wrong with choosing to stay at home if you and your husband can afford it. Keeping house and raising children is hard work, and even though you may not be contributing financially you are certainly contributing in other ways.

If a couple without children can afford to have one partner be a SAHP (stay at home person) then why not? There are tons of things that can be done during the day while your spouse is at work: cooking, shopping, laundry, housecleaning, gardening, yard work, volunteering, walking dogs, whatever. Sounds great to me!

Post # 160
    614 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2010

fixed it–sorry 🙂

Post # 161
    2191 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

As soon as I saw the title of this thread I was curious to see if it turned into the heated debate this topic normally turns into. And, it did.

I am of the belief that I am not in any position to judge anyone for how they live. Be it their job, sexual preference, income, education, religion…none of it is my place to pass judement on.

So, If you are able and want to be a Stay-At-Home Wife OR SHAM..then you go for it!

Post # 161
    353 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
    @Miss Damask: At the top of the window there is an address bar with the URL to the page in it.  Make sure you are on page 4 or something and then delete number 4 and put in a 5.  Then hit enter.  The 5th page will show up.

EDIT:  PMing this.  She obviously can’t see it. =)

Post # 162
    1289 posts
    Bumble bee

View original reply
    @Miss Damask: That happens sometimes. It’ll show that there are like 160 posts but you can only see like 130. I just change the address bar to say page/5 instead of page/4 or whatever.

Post # 163
    3216 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2012

Who wouldn’t love that? I would love to just chill and clean and read! But I couldn’t let my husband have to support us both just because I was lazy. 

Post # 164
    3774 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: December 2004

View original reply
    @bookworm88:  The problem with comments like that is that you don’t know what and how these women have sacrificed to move their husbands professional lives forward.  What about the woman who worked like a dog to get him through school?  What about the woman who has to be available to move often because of the nature of her husband’s profession?  I think calling them lazy because their husbands support their family is unfair.

Post # 165
    2191 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

View original reply
    @MrsFuzzyFace: It’s not only unfair it’s just plain rude.

Blanket statements like that are not necessary

View original reply
    @bookworm88:

Post # 167
    7768 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

It is just something that shouldn’t be judged in regard to others (in general) because everyone’s situation is different and you don’t know what you are judging. 

It is a couple’s private business.

Post # 168
    2299 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

View original reply
    @UpstateCait:Honestly, everyone’s entitled to their opinions…but what happened to each his own? Why does it matter to you what other people are doing with their lives when it has no effect on yours? Maybe the wife didn’t want to force herself to work when she hates it and would rather make a great life for her husband and children. If it doesn’t make you happy, don’t do it. I don’t think that when my husband is making 100k/ year in a couple years I’m going to get a part time job for “extra” money. There’s absolutely no need.

I agree completely with

View original reply
    @cbee: it’s the couple’s business. NOT yours.

The topic ‘The Housewife’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors