Post # 47
My Future Mother-In-Law. She’s not contributing to the wedding at all, yet she feels the need to put her two cents in. AND she objects to my religion. Come on, I couldn’t care less about yours, but because of how I was RAISED you’re going to hold it against me?? She believes all the STUPID stereotypes and literally hates people of my religion. She’s also expressed her disapproval of us raising our children (if we even have any) in my religion. Fiance doesn’t care. He’s non-practicing. But FMIL?? nooo… ugh. I hate closed-mindedness and fear. it’s just downright awful prejudice. and I don’t find it acceptable.
Post # 48
Thanks to all for posting about flaky friends and family, and people who are rude enough to push an unasked-for opinion. I so agree.
I can’t believe how many people don’t return rsvp cards, especially those who have recently gotten married or planned their children’s weddings. My MOH’s father was the only one who asked politely if he could come “at the last minute”, which was a month ago and was totally cool. We had to call and email others. How exactly do they expect us to plan the seating chart?
And I love my mom, but some things you should say, like how I should change for the reception, when it’s three days before the wedding! No I’m not going to go shopping for a dress on the day that 35 people arrive from out of town and we’re going out to dinner. And I don’t want to change anyway after spending $1200 on the dress and alterations. It’s gorgeous – silk organza and Alencon lace and very slimming, and I am going to wear it all night if it kills me. Also, don’t tell me to have my last minute alterations not made quite so tight – it’s a strapless dress and I don’t want it falling down all night, even if there’s an imperceptible bulge around my middle. And quit asking me to do stuff – do it yourself – don’t even ask my opinion because at this point I don’t care as long as it looks good. And please let the caterer bring the amount of food he thinks is right for the number of people coming to the wedding. I don’t care if we have leftovers since they can go in our freezer – I do care if we run out of food. And let us buy the amount of alcohol we think is right – just because you like to have just one glass of wine doesn’t mean that everyone else does that. Stop complaining – it’s our money.
While I’m glad FI’s family plans ahead (unlike mine who got their plane tickets 10 days before arriving from OOT) there’s a detailed minute-by-minute schedule in your welcome bag. We don’t actually need to email 10 times.
Okay, thanks for letting me vent.
Post # 49
I’ve got another one–
I’m upset that my grand-uncle can’t be bothered to attend my wedding, despite the fact that I’m one of his few relatives left. I understand that you don’t like airplanes, fine. But you could take a train, or drive … there are other options out there. He’s retired with plenty of pension money coming in — he can afford to come to my wedding. I know it’s his money and his choice but I feel like we only see each other for funerals anymore … can’t we get together for something happy?
Post # 50
Totally upset my sisterzilla just screamed at me for not being worried about how many seats/rows to reserve for family at the ceremony. Really? I still have almost 2 months to till the wedding. NOT on my list of priorities right now. I calmly explained this to her and was met with outburst, complete with tears, and guilt trip about how she has listened to all my wedding crap and my Maid/Matron of Honor hasn’t done anything (she has, she just isn’t aware of it all). Then she stated adamantly she doesn’t want to have anything to do with it anymore because I won’t listen to her. Really? OVER RESERVED SEATING? I don’t know whether to laugh or to cry.
Post # 51
1. When we got engaged there wasn’t a party, cards, NOTHING!!
2. I cannot find a venue for our reception and ceremony and it is driving me nuts.
3. My FH is a cranky butt and worries about money and I just want to scream sometimes.
4. One of my bridesmaids doesn’t like the guy she is paired with to walk with.
5. NONE OF MY BRIDESMAIDS ARE ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT ANYTHING!! No ideas, no excitement, its getting OLD and I’ve only been engaged 2 months!!!
6. NOT having my budget set because I can’t get the $$ down even when my dad says he’ll help with anything-thats really vague!!!
Post # 52
I got engaged August 2 and I’ve had two things already….
1. My Fiance proposed to me in a private spot, then he invited a ton of family and friends to a restaurant right after as a surprise to me to celebrate. My future SIL showed up DRUNK! Like embarrassingly so. And what hurts my feelings is she decided to go out with her husband’s friends first (where she got drunk) because she had made those plans already and then came to my thing as an afterthought.
2. My mom was upset that I didn’t want to buy a used wedding dress for $100 from a wedding that was cancelled. No offense to anyone who would consider this, but I really wanted the experience of trying on dresses at a shop. And it was a size 10 and I am no where near that size.
This is just the first month! I’m sure I’ll have many more stories to come!
Post # 53
* A guest showed up at our dressy wedding in dirty jeans, a hat, and a shirt that said “If you can’t hump it or piss on it, just walk away”. Honestly I’d be offended by a guy wearing that out on the street, but I thought it was a billion times more inappropriate to wear it at a formal event with family and children around. trashy.