Post # 1
I know this is a very philosophical question for a Wednesday morning, but humor me. It’s raining like cats and dogs and I’m in a pensive mood.
I check in on the hive every day, I do something towards planning our wedding pretty much every day, and I want to stop and think about what it will mean to be married. We all worry so much about centerpieces, tulle vs. chiffon, A-line vs. mermaid, MoHs from h*ll…
Why are YOU getting married? For you waiting bees, why do you WANT to get married? I’ll try to boil it down to 3 points, for the sake of length and short attention spans.
1. I’ve finally met my best friend equivalent in a man–someone who makes me laugh and thinks I’m hilarious, who doesn’t judge me (too much) but rather is there for me.
2. I want to spend the rest of my life with him. Honestly, I always thought of marriage as being with someone you couldn’t imagine your life without–I was convinced if I never met him, I’d end up a spinster with my college roommate and our dozens of cats.
3. I want to start a family with him. Our kids are going to be so cool–Daddy will teach them how to play guitar and mow the grass, I’ll teach them how to cook and read to them every night.
Sorry if this is a bit much. Hope it’s not raining where you are!
Post # 3
@MrsLongcoatPeacoat: I want to marry Adam because I’m willing to give up everything for him. But, he loves me so much that he’d never ask me to.
Post # 4
What a great question. I never thought about marriage before Fiance. I was never the girl who dreamt about her dream wedding and played dress up, etc. I just took one day at a time. It’s funny though because almost as soon as I met Fiance, I knew he was the one. I couldn’t stop thinking about marriage. I knew that my life would not be complete without him. I never expressed these thoughts and feelings with him though. I figured if it was meant to be, then he’d take it into his own hands and on his own time. Now I couldn’t be any happier and I’m so excited to be called his wife.
Post # 5
Am I supposed to pick one? If so I would go with one. Its the fact that I really found my equal. We really enjoy eachothers company. I know he will always be there for me, even when times get tough. We have been through so much together that it has just made us closer. I cant imagine going through life without him. He is my best friend. My really dorky best friend!! He doesnt judge when I dance around or talk in stupid voices. He is just my perfect match.
Post # 6
@organizedbride11: Oh no! Sorry, I didn’t mean that at all. I just meant that I had to keep myself at 3 or else I’d put down every stupid little reason.
Post # 7
@CountryGirl80: Congratulations on your upcoming wedding weekend–you must be so excited!
@Rouquine: What a great response!
Post # 8
I love to have adventures. Some of them are big: moving to rural Japan for two years. Some of them are small: trying out the new Vietnamese restaurant down the street. I have discovered that no matter how fantastic my adventures are, they are always better with him. Marriage and starting a family together is quite possibly the greatest adventure of all, so of course I want to do it with him. He’s sometimes the captain and sometimes just my first mate on our great adventure ship of life, but he’s always the best partner I could have, and I know our ship can weather any storm as we sail toward exotic and exciting lands.
…Also, he thinks my dorky pirate metaphors are awesome.
Post # 9
Awesome question… and such a good thing to think about as I wait!
P is the most supportive person I have ever met. When I dropped everything to go back to school, he didn’t bat an eyelash.
We are silly together, which is very important. I know for a fact I can be myself around him and I won’t be judged for it. (I like to dance and sing about pointless things… a la that show “The New Girl”.)
We genuinely enjoy each others company. When he wants to work out or go fishing, he doesn’t want the guys around… He wants me. I can’t think of any person I would rather hang out with than him. We truly are best friends.
I have never seen my relationships come to fruition… I always break up or back out (which maybe is something I probably need to examine). He is the only person I can see spending my life with, and when that time comes, having children with. He is such a good father to his son, and it makes me love him more for it.
OKAY! Enough mush-mush! 🙂
Post # 10
@Hbomb84: LOL… never enough mush mush!
Post # 11
I could copy and paste your first 2 answers for myself
1. I had never EVER met anyone who I thought, “Wow, this guy I could really imagine marrying and spending my life with.” I thought marriage just wasn’t for me. Then I met him and it was like my soul said, “oh! I see. It’s like that.” lol I think I would have been a happy spinster with my best friend, our big hosue, and our cats, but that’s not what life had in mind.
2. We are really similar, have the same goals and beliefs, and marriage just seemed like the next obvious step. We knew we loved each other and wanted the same things from life and not getting married would have seemed like playing games.
Post # 12
The meaning of married life?
1. I found someone I wanted to spend FOREVER with.
2. The committment itself is the most wonderful and sometimes one of the most challenging things I’ve ever been blessed with. And because of that, it is incredibly satisfying.
3. The companionship.
4. To have a whole family.
5. I spent my whole life dreaming of marriage. It hasn’t disappointed.
Post # 13
i really want too see how our baby would look like and grow up o be, also i love him loads and he complements me 😉
Post # 14
I’m loving this thread because I’m sitting here with a blank paper thinking of how the heck I’m gonna start off our vows! Inspiration overload, bees!
Post # 15
I got married because I believe in the institution. It’s very conventional but I think it works.
I married my husband because he is just so calm and steady, while I don’t have one single uncomplicated thought in my head. Ever. It’s all drama and angst and he all he has to do is sit there like a Buddha. And it settles me right down:)
Post # 16
Wow I am really loving this thread! You all have such beautiful answers :)I I’m on my phone right now but as soon as I get back to my computer I will be adding my 2 cents!