(Closed) The perfect set of dishes… should I wait until I’m engaged & lose them?

posted 7 years ago in Home
Post # 3
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I have to see what these dishes look  like!!! 🙂

Post # 4
870 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Why don’t you buy them and use them immediately?

Post # 5
994 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I’m really confused. I’m not sure why your mom would have to buy them? could your SO buy them if you are low on cash?

Post # 6
808 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Ask your mom to buy them and hold on to them until the wedding if she really wants to give you dishes as your wedding gift.  Or ask to get them as a Birthday present/Christmas Present.  Either way- tell her these are the ones you really want and are positive.

Post # 7
14496 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

If your mom really wants to get you dishes for your wedding gift, whihc is kind of odd to think about if you’re not even engaged yet, ask her to buy them now and just hold on to it.  Or ask her to buy them as an engagement present since that is coming up soon.  If it were me though, and I loved something that much and there was a chance I cant get it later, I’d just buy it myself right now!

Post # 8
706 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Please share!

One thing you do want to consider, also, is replaceability.  While I know that there are never guarantees with dishes continuing, you should realize that you will never be able to replace broken dishes.

Post # 9
3943 posts
Honey bee

If it was that important to me, I would just buy them myself. But also remember that if they are already discontinued, it will be very hard to find replacements and/or add to your collection in the future.

Post # 10
1766 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m confused too. Why would you have to wait to use them if you bought them?  They would be yours.  You don’t have to wait until you are married to use dishes.  What are you eating off now? 

Post # 11
238 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I would just buy them myself.  Actually I wouldn’t because I don’t care about dishes and use a hodgepodge of Salvation Army dishes, lol, but if I really wanted something I would just buy it for myself. If $200 is worrisome to you, maybe you should get a supplemental job while waiting for your professional license? Not for the dishes but just for financial security? I wouldn’t want to be in a position where $200 is a make-or-break amount. If you are in DC I know that you can pull in $200 working one shift as a waitress, lol. Anyways, good luck!

Post # 12
5670 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Unless you are engaged or your mom knows that your SO has the ring, I can sort of see her not wanting to buy them so you so you can have them someday. If I were you, I would buy them if I could afford them or else unfortunately pass them up.

Post # 13
3461 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Why does it have to be for a wedding present?  Just ask everyone in your life (not just mom) to buy them for you and give them to you over the next X years as birthday/holiday presents.  Buy up the remaining if any are left.  Or ask your SO to do so as a variant on a promise ring 🙂  (I don’t believe in promise rings myself, but this seems a great time for it.)

For so long I tried to avoid buying kitchen items to save the classic registry items.  I finally gave up and got/asked for what I wanted, because who knows when I’ll get married.  I do admit, I’ve tried to save dishes for the registry though (don’t look and you won’t fall in love with something!), but that’s about it that’s left on it. 

Post # 15
14496 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Can you just have your mom buy them now and call them an early early early wedding present?  If you hate your dishes now, it seems so silly for them to sit in a box for year or two just to wait for the ‘right time’ to give it to you, unless you really want to wait until you’re married to use it.

Post # 16
937 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Which ones are they? I wonder if they’re the ones we have (we received a notice that they were being discontinued RIGHT after our wedding).

The topic ‘The perfect set of dishes… should I wait until I’m engaged & lose them?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors