(Closed) The Shut It Up Pact (SIUP) – December 1st -15th, 2015

posted 6 years ago in Waiting
  • poll: How many engagement commercials have you seen so far this month? Are they making you feel weird?

None so far

1-2

3-5

over 6

• Post # 46
    38 posts
    Newbee

I feel a little strange when they come on, because I wonder if they make him uncomfortable.  I just wish I was a mind-reader at times like that.  I’d love to know what he’s thinking when they come on.  I hope it’s not, “oh man, I have this awful chore of buying a ring at some point in time.”

Post # 47
    161 posts
    Blushing bee

View original reply
    Perfpersnickety:  Keeping my fingers crossed for you! 

Our “half-iversary” is coming up on the 19th, and I’m doing my best NOT to bring it up. Exactly 6 years and 6 months we will have been together next Saturday! We usually go out on a special date when anniveraries come around, and I’m hoping this will be IT! Just gotta keep my trap shut til then. 

Post # 48
    262 posts
    Helper bee

I’ve been randomly thinking today about the fact that I now know about the ring. Do you know about the ring? Or do you not want to know that he has it? Or if you know do you wish you didn’t?

I’m being hard on myself because I didn’t want to know and now I know so I’ve spent all day obsessing over the fact that I know and can’t change it. That’s how you can tell it’s been slow at work, ugh 

Post # 49
    307 posts
    Helper bee

I’m just gonna put 10 bucks in my jar because last night was a shit show. Haha

He brought it up as a “funny story” that he and his co-worker are both making their live-in partners of multiple years wait for a proposal. That sucked, and I told him it wasn’t funny. Anyways, there were tears, but in the end he said that he considers us engaged anyway, and he’s just planning on getting me a ring when we’re closer to actually having a wedding, so we should start talking about what we’d want our wedding to be like.

So I was still crying but started to get happy. It was kind of a confusing roller coaster evening.

Post # 50
    161 posts
    Blushing bee

View original reply
    PandaBurr:  That wasn’t very nice of him! NOT FUNNY! But on the other hand, he considers you engaged?! Do you? 

I’d start planning if that’s the case, and get the ball rolling. Or tell him you would rather the proposal come before the planning, with or without a ring

Post # 51
    307 posts
    Helper bee

View original reply
    Courtney1993:  I don’t consider us engaged yet, and I did tell him that. But I think he will be much more comfortable with the idea of spending money on a ring, followed by a wedding, once he realizes that my ideal wedding would be small and inexpensive. He already told me he’d elope at any time, but that’s not an option for me. My parents HAVE to be there!

He said we should talk about it again in a few days, and get more specific. I really don’t know if I will have the guts to bring it back up later, since I feel like a fool for crying so hard, but I’m really hoping that conversation happens. Maybe after we talk then I’ll consider us engaged. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 52
    1150 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2018

I’m behaving myself quite well, but urgh. He came over to help with something on the PC and when I suggested he get a chair rather than hovering he said “No I’m going to kneel – not like that!”.

The “kneeling” thought hadn’t even occurred until he followed it up with a woah-don’t-give-her-the-wrong-idea comment.

Post # 53
    659 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

My SO brought engagement up again tonight in the form of “I can’t wait to spend my life with you” and then proceeded to tell me he’d been thinking about proposing when we go on a trip at the end of January! That is so soon! So exciting! I told him I was on-board but I would rather it happen earlier in the trip since I didn’t want to spend the whole holiday beig skiddish any time he tied his shoe ๐Ÿ˜‰
    But for real, JANUARY! I’d been bankind on the spring or summer. It’s not for sure, and he said he would let me know way in advance if he would *not* be proposing on the trip so I can relax. 
    I do have an etiquette-of-sorts question that I’ll make a seperate post about. 

Post # 54
    221 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2018

Today was SO hard! I’m done with finals and it would be the PERFECT time to propose before school starts up again. I think I stared at every single patient’s wedding/ering today. Blatantly. I get home and he’s just sitting on his computer playing the same dumb game he’s been playing all week. UGH

Post # 55
    221 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2019

I broke today. Ugggh. I blame say yes to the dress. I REALLY shouldn’t be watching any sort of show about weddings lol. Anyways, I did get a little further down the track with him this time, so that’s positive I guess. He’s still very much sticking to his guns of waiting till he’s done with his degree to get engaged, which is fine. But he did admit to me that if he were to propose he would want to do it when we are off traveling somewhere in the world, not here at home. I think it’s kinda romantic, lol. I kinda wish I didn’t know that now, because every time we go on vacation now I’ll have that at the back of my mind. 

Post # 56
    1150 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2018

I broke yesterday ๐Ÿ™

We went to a shopping centre and OH was joking about watches when we walked past a jewellers and the odd other “witty” comment about enagement. We weren’t alone so I had to settle for being quiet until later on when I could actually talk to him.

I categorically told him that he was not to tease about engagements because I couldn’t and wouldn’t tolerate it. I had prepared a rant about how whilst I know his reluctance to get engaged isn’t personal, it still hurts, and that I need to feel like he’s taking it seriously but I settled for a blunt “do not tease me about getting engaged I can’t deal with it” and left it at that.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by BeeDD.
    Post # 57
    659 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2016

View original reply
    megkate87:  My SO said the same thing about wanting to propose while travelling. I told him if he didn’t do it while we’re away in January, I’m game to drive to the States for a weekend getaway for him to do it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Do you guys have any vacations planned?

Post # 58
    221 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2019

View original reply
    lucialucentum:  nothing in the near future, we are planning an epic road trip to California for this summer sometime, but nothing set in stone yet. The year after that I think we might travel somewhere in Europe. It all just depends on how quickly I can get vacation hours banked at work! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Post # 59
    503 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: December 2017 - Friendship Plaza

We’re going to Savannah the last week of December, and it’s our first real vacation (real = his daughters aren’t with us) in a long time. I REALLY hope it happens then, not just because I wannit wannit wannit, but because it would just also be so pretty, so romantic, and such a lovely, perfect time. I am trying not to put all my waiting eggs in that basket and just enjoy it ‘as is’. Ung, it’s hard, but I’mma try. There’s just so many GOOD and *perfect* moments we notice, don’t we?

Post # 60
    221 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2018

I need some other reasons for my mom to have her big hard copy of Emily Post out and have it sitting on the kitchen table when I came over unannounced today. There have to be more uses? 

The topic ‘The Shut It Up Pact (SIUP) – December 1st -15th, 2015’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors