tanning bed : (26 votes)
    22 %
    other? (please explain) : (20 votes)
    17 %
  • Post # 33
    6 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I used jergens for a high school function a few years ago…If you apply it morning and night for 2 days the results are noticeable since you’ve got a time constraint. I have used jergens and been a tanning bed aholic…the jergens does rub off…my white bras have orange underwires…That’s why I’m not a fan of using it for my wedding. I still have tanning minutes left from 3 years ago…I quit tanning as soon as I read that being exposed under 30 years old increases your chances for skin cancer 75%, although I’m sure that tanning every other day and using baby oil outside before prom probably already did the damage..I’m going blonde for the wedding and am toying with the idea of using up my minutes…does a spray tan wipe off on the dress? My newest product to try is the Mary Kay sunless tanning lotion..I will post a review in a week 🙂 Oh and ps- Jergens….reeks. Its got this weird smell….dove is just as bad though…also tried that brand once upon a time.

Post # 34
    115 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

I would let a pro spray tan you or just rock the pale look. I am the same way (fair skin, burn easily). The professional I go to does an EXCELLENT job. So for me its her or pale. 

Post # 35
    202 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Airbrush tan!

I work at a spa and given these to many a bride.  Get one a few weeks before to check otu the person doing the tan and the product they use.  

Studies have found a 75 percent increase in the risk of melanoma in those who have been exposed to UV radiation from indoor tanning, and the risk increases with each use. Why ruin your skin and risk your life by hitting a tanning bed?

Post # 37
    132 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

A MUA friend of mine told me about this and it’s all I will use now besides being outside here in Florida.

Famous Dave’s Tanning Lotion – I buy the medium and love it! It’s the most natural looking self-tanner I’ve used. It’s a little pricey but a little goes a long way with this stuff.

Post # 38
    202 posts
    Helper bee

@alikat2014:  http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm186687.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17131335

There have been increasing numbers of younger women getting melanoma and other skin cancers. I guess you can keep telling yourself that there is no correlation between tanning in beds (or outside) with the growing number of skin cancer cases. 

As someone with a family history of melanoma and other skins cancer myself, I will not get into a tanning bed or be outside without sunscreen. Why risk it? My father had melanoma.  He was a runner and cyclist who was outside several days a week, a lot of the time without a shirt on.  He is still alive, but he now has a gaping 2 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep scar on his shoulder.  If I can help it, that won’t be me.

But, don’t just take it from me: http://www.lifeofblyss.com/2012/02/dont-make-my-mistake/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dont-make-my-mistake

Post # 39
    95 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

@erincredible:  🙂 I am not saying there isn’t a correlation between the two. You stated it increases your chances by 75 percernt and increase with every use. I read both of your links, I did not come across that part. I see that it increases your chances but even with prolonged exposure to uv rays, the chance of developing melenoma is still less than 5% in comparisson to non-melenoma skin cancer. Melanoma is not the only form of skin cancer, and there are so many other variables with these studies that would need to be taken in to consideration. Just say 🙂   

Post # 40
    202 posts
    Helper bee

@alikat2014: I pulled that statistic from the AAD: http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/indoor-tanning 

And quoting the fda’s site:

IARC’s conclusions and recommendations were based on its 2006 review of 19 studies conducted over 25 years on the use of indoor tanning equipment. The review found evidence of

• an association between indoor tanning and two types of skin cancer: squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma
    • an association between UV-emitting tanning devices and cancer of the eye (ocular melanoma)
    • both UV-A and UV-B rays causing DNA damage, which can lead to skin cancer in laboratory animals and humans
    • the risk of melanoma of the skin increasing by 75 percent when tanning bed use started before age 35

Of course there are other types of skin cancers, but melanoma kills. Though the survival rate is so much higher now, and while it is true that melanoma only accounts for 5% of all reported skin cancer cases, it accounts for 75% of the deaths due to all types of skin cancer.

People can make their own decisions regarding whether or not they want to tan, indoor or out.  But I guess some people are willing to take a little gamble. 

View original reply
    @littlemisssally:  Sorry to hijack your thread, I’ll stop posting now!

Post # 42
    95 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

@erincredible:  Where does it say that it increases with every use? and regarless of it increasing 75% which I did not disagree with, the high percentage of 75% makes it sound like you are almost guarenteed to get melanoma, when in reality your chances actually getting is less than 1%. So If she you increase that by 75% its still fairly uncommon. Even at an older age of 65 and up its almost 50/50 for people who have be over exposed to UV and those who haven’t. You shouldn’t believe everything you read online, let alone quote in wrong to try and prove a point. I am just trying to tell you that your statement wasn’t true. You can post all the sites you want, so far none of them have backed up that it increases with every use.  

The topic ‘The tanning situation!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors