(Closed) The thought of spending 500 on a dress is freaking me out

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
164 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I feel ya on this one! Have you thought about looking at bridesmaids dresses in white? I found a Watters bridesmaid dress that was gorgeous for around $300- so you can definitely find something affordable and beautiful.

Post # 5
3539 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

You are not alone.. I spent 1200AUD dollars and I thought that was expensive. However i was 100% in love with my dress. Also that was the limit of my budget. I agree kateriffic, there are some really great dresses that arent “wedding dresses”

Good luck on your search crebre. I know you will find one amazing! You always work wonders!

Post # 7
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

Try calling bridal shops in your area to see if they have some samples for you to try. Your other option would be to try to find a seamstress in your area to make you one. I was lucky. I was able to get a sample for around 60% off retail. I am a plus on top and the bridal shop that I went to is going to be able to alter it to fit me by putting in a corset back and I wanted a corset back anyway. My budget was $600 and I ended up paying $868 and change with tax and alterations. And I got a designer gown that I love.

Post # 9
1987 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I know I have expensive taste, I also know I won’t be happy if I don’t get what I want.

But spending money makes me cringe, even just going to the store and buying milk- I’m a huge penny pincher I know that if I could I would go without eating just to save money.  

With that being said I’m going to have budget for my wedding and the dress is going to be a huge percentage of said budget- I’m going to buy preowned (hopefully!) with a budget of roughly 1000- 1200 dollars…because I’m crazy.  I might just hand the money over to my mom tell her what I’m looking for and have her buy it…because I might not be able to do it myself, lol.

Post # 10
1022 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I second the seamstress idea!  Wedding dress prices are soo jacked up!  I fell in love with a J. Crew that was $2500 and I’m having a local experienced seamstress make it for me for $300. 

Post # 11
5399 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@crebre80: Bummer it’s too small, BUT, I have a good feeling you could find it somewhere else for less than the retail price!  Have you checked out sites like preownedweddingdresses.com ?

Post # 13
7975 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

i’ve heard that there are some sellers on Etsy who might respond to an alchemy request and make you a fabulous dress for cheap, but I can’t verify that. I’m considering going that route too, because my dress budget (including alterations) is around $400 🙁 We just don’t have the money for an expensive dress!

Post # 14
2397 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I am freaking out over the cost of a lot of wedding stuff!  The biggest is linen rental… I really want black chair covers/white chair ties/black tablecloths, but the price is outrageous to rent them and have them set up!   I’m hoping I can find a better deal somewhere. 

My mom was kind enough to buy my wedding dress, however, I did feel guilty when she offered to pay for it (guilty, but soooo appreciative)!  Weddings can be so expensive.

Post # 15
3098 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

The dress freaked me out too, I just don’t buy expensive clothes and couldn’t for the life of me justify spending a ton of money on a dress! I bought a sample dress (still new, with tags) from a girl in the WB classifieds for $115 and had it altered to fit, total cost $320. The dress, brand new (which it was – just a sample in great condition) was $800. You just have to look at all of the classifieds – you can find something for less! But factor in alterations cost, too!

Post # 16
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I think it is really hard to look for dresses pre-owned before you pick out a dress.  I don’t think I could have ever bought a used dress sight unseen. 

I did the normal dress shopping, looking around the $500-$1,000 range.  Before you buy anything come home and google the style number and see what is for sale out there.  You will be amazed at even in a size 16-18 once you have seen the dress in the person, the ones online look a lot better. 

The topic ‘The thought of spending 500 on a dress is freaking me out’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors