(Closed) The Waiting List 07/05/2016

posted 4 years ago in Waiting
  • poll: What are some "wedding traditions" that you DO NOT want in your wedding?
    Not seeing the groom until you're walking down the aisle : (18 votes)
    9 %
    Having a flower girl/ring bearer : (23 votes)
    11 %
    Bouquet Toss : (28 votes)
    14 %
    Garter Tradition : (42 votes)
    21 %
    Separate cake for "Grooms Cake" : (40 votes)
    20 %
    Matching style/color bridesmaids dresses : (15 votes)
    7 %
    Having a bridal party : (12 votes)
    6 %
    Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties : (12 votes)
    6 %
    Having something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue : (12 votes)
    6 %
  • Post # 2
    38 posts
    Newbee

Generally I love all the traditions, corny or not. I think the only one I wouldn’t want to do is the garter toss because I would be a little embarassed to do that whole scene in front of the whole family (too many elderly grandparents, etc. haha). 

Post # 3
    593 posts
    Busy bee

Congrats and enviness to the newly engaged bees! Glad to be on this week’s list. Let the waiting begin (fingers crossed it’s not long, going nuts here)!

Post # 4
    1288 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2018 - Omaha, NE

#34! I’m not planning on doing the garter toss because it’s not popular in our area. The last time I saw one done at a wedding was like 10 years ago. I think the bouquet toss is more appropriate lol, plus it’s fun for the girls. I can’t say my SO’s friends would be thrilled to have a garter off of his wife :/ lol

Also not planning on doing flower girl/ring bearer because we don’t have any young kids we’d want to use as props like that. I think it’s a little hokey, personally. This one’s also not a common tradition in my group/area, though.

Post # 5
    2124 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2018

Congrats to the newly engaged bees!! As an older waiting bee (will be 42 next month), I won’t be partaking in many of the traditions, although I think it’s nice not to see the groom until you’re walking down the aisle. However, I do want to have a spa day with my girlfriends as a kind of bachelorette party. It won’t be traditional since I will host it myself and treat everyone and probably just call it a “spa day” and not a bachelorette party. lol. I’ve learned to celebrate and enjoy life, so I’m all for throwing parties whenever you can.

Post # 6
    166 posts
    Blushing bee

Congrats to those recently engaged! 

Oo number 30! Hoping its a lucky number for me! Engagement hasnt been on my mind the last few weeks as i have been unwell. Now that im on the mend ive started thinking about it again and so want it to happen soon!  

I ticked all of the boxes above! We will be having a very small ceremony with immediate family, no bridal party, no walking down the aisle, no cake cutting or big party. We have also been together for 9 years, I just want to marry my best friend without all the fuss. A big wedding just isnt us. I will be wearing a white (or off white ๐Ÿ˜‰ )dress though!

Post # 7
    1149 posts
    Bumble bee

Congrats to this week’s lucky bees!

As for the poll, ugh man there’s nothing more embarassing than having your husband dig under your dress infront of all your family and his family. Let’s leave that for intimate time together, alone and away from parents.

Groom’s cake doesn’t make sense either, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have another flavored cake. I just don’t like the tradition and the look of most of the groom’s cake though. So what the groom is supposed to have a smaller cake than the main cake and that’s the bride’s cake?? We’ll probably have 3-5 cakes of various flavor if we decide to do multiple wedding cakes and call them OUR cakes.

Post # 8
    219 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2017

Congrats to all the newly engaged bees! 

I voted for the garter toss and bouquet toss. I think the idea of him digging under my dress in front of family is mortifying. We’ve talked about it and he thinks it’s tradition and should be done. Almost all of our friends are married, with the exception of 3 of my girlfriends, so no need to single them out with a bouquet toss. When I go to weddings, I always hit up the bar or restroom before someone can drag me out to th dance floor for the bouquet toss haha

Post # 9
    201 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 2020

Movin on up!! One spot closer to the top! Please keep me on ๐Ÿ™‚

CONGRATS TO ALL THE NEWLY ENGAGED BEES!!

Post # 10
    234 posts
    Helper bee

Thank you for keeping me on another week!

I’m not sure what I want or don’t want, but I picked Garter Toss because that’s one I’m sure is 100% not going to happen!

Post # 11
    346 posts
    Helper bee

mrs.akjp:  tks bee to keeping the list ๐Ÿ˜€

Congratulations to all newyly engaged bees!

#74 up one spot,  waiting.

ditching almost all of those traditions hihihihi!

Post # 12
    37 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2016

#72…slowly but surely making my way up the list.  Had a “close call” this past weekend. My bf brought the ring on a beach trip, but things didn’t go as either of us were expecting…too many people, restaurant was horrible. Sooo, he didn’t ask. He has no idea I know that he even has the ring, so I was laughing inside getting super close to where he was hiding it and watching him squirm.  We’re going out again this Friday, im hoping for low crowds and good food! 

I am hoping to elope…so the only tradition I plan on following is the “somethings” (old, new, borrowed, blue).

Post # 13
    744 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2017

WOW! There’s been so many engagements lately! (And they say the Holidays is engagement season ha!) CONGRATS ladies! 

We’re planning an evening wedding so we’re wanting to do as many of our pictures before the ceremony for lighting and so people aren’t waiting on us forever. We’ve been to wedings in the past year where the bridal party showed up more than an hour after they were supposed to and don’t want to put guests though that!

SO’s neices have already been asking about being flower girls, and I remember being so upset when I was their age because my uncle called off his wedding and I couldn’t be a flower girls (3 year olds! haha).

Like PPs I agree the garter toss is weird around elderly family and SO watched carb/sugar intake.

We’re undecided on wedding parties, but I will have bridesmen on myside if we decide to have them. I also am not going to kill myself trying to make sure I have something old, new, borrowed and blue. But if it works out that way, it’s fine. 

Post # 14
    232 posts
    Helper bee

We won’t be having a wedding party and we WILL see each other prior to the ceremony.

I posted my proposal on another board yesterday so please remove me from the waiting list. ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘The Waiting List 07/05/2016’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors