(Closed) The Waiting List (8/14/17)

posted 4 years ago in Waiting
  • poll: Would you pay for your engagement ring?

Yes, I would be willing to pay 100% of the price for my engagement ring.

Yes, I would be prepared to pay up to 50% of the price.

No, I think my SO should pay for my ring.

No, I don't need a ring.

Other, I will explain in a post.

• Post # 3
    14 posts
    Newbee

I would be willing to pay for 50%. It is a technically going to be mine forever, and if there was an outside situation like grad school, I wouldn’t mind helping out! However, my SO is already working on the ring (I think!) and is using his savings. So moot for me! 

Post # 4
    60 posts
    Worker bee

A ring symbolizing the promise isn’t needed as far as I’m concerned. But if one is going to be given, I see it as a gift and I shouldn’t pay anything toward it. Just my few cents.

Post # 5
    898 posts
    Busy bee

His money became my money and vice versa, so in a way I guess we both paid for it, lol.  

Post # 6
    13 posts
    Newbee

Our situation is slightly different as I’m purchasing him an engagement symbol as well. (I’ll be doing a return proposal). I want to pay for that item 100%, as it’s a gift. The budget for his gift is in the same range as the engagement ring budget.

If I weren’t purchasing a return gift, I would insist on paying for half of the ring, as I’m a little bit of a prideful person and I hate when people spend a lot of money on me (Yes, including my SO). I feel like it would be fair for me to help considering the fact that we agreed on the engagement together, and he won’t be wearing it for the rest of his life lol.

Post # 7
    129 posts
    Blushing bee

I would probably pay 50% if he had asked me to, although that would seem a little silly, as it will be our shared money regardless, as soon as we are married. But, he bought the ring himself.  While it’s a big purchase, it wasn’t necessarily something he had to budget around. 

Guys, it is killing me. It is not only in the house, it is sitting ON THE ENTRY TABLE, in the bag we brought it home in before the weekend! Yes, I’ve checked, it’s still there — not a decoy! (No shame… surprises are not our forte 😉 ) He is actively working on something — he’s kicked me out of the house a handful of times to go do something fun while he works. I am so stinking excited. Loving these last few days of being his girlfriend. All of the (negative) anxiety is gone, but dang, I want to be able to tell the whole world already! I’d say it’s 50/50 whether this is my last week on the list or not. He’s either done with whatever he has up his sleeve by this weekend or he isn’t! 

Post # 9
    5 posts
    Newbee

Keep having to get back added to the list.  Need to pin this board so I stay active in it! 

Post # 10
    4 posts
    Wannabee

I don’t personally understand why anyone would pay towards their own engagement ring….
    Price doesn’t matter – I trust my SO’s choice 100%, so anything he put thought and love into would feel priceless to me.

Post # 11
    1087 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2018

I don’t need a ring, my parents didn’t have an engagement ring. But it’s moot for me because he has a ring from his Grandmother. It will cost about 200 to have it (and matching wedding band) resized and I think it is the most gorgeous thing ever. I just can’t wait to finally get engaged and then married to my other half!

Post # 12
    307 posts
    Helper bee

I wish my boyfriend were more open to the idea of me chipping in towards the ring! I’d do it in a heartbeat, especially since all we’re waiting for right now is for him to save up money. I have more savings and in my mind it’ll all be joint money anyway soon, but he wasn’t enthused about the idea of me paying for part of it. 

I’m a bit frustrated because I’ve been waiting nearly a year already and I don’t think he’s really purposefully started saving for the ring yet. I picked out a ring style at a local jeweler and they would make it custom for us, and I don’t think he’s even talked to them & found out how much it would cost for the specs we had decided on.

I’ve been considering picking out a less expensive ring since after a certain point I don’t want to hold up our lives over jewelry, but I’d like to at least know that he’d done the research & figured out that this ring wasn’t doable first! I think it just feels intimidating to him whenever he thinks about it & he worries he won’t have enough money, so he just shuts down whenever it pops into his mind. But it makes me upset that his love for me & desire to get married doesn’t seem to have pushed him over that hump yet. Sigh.

We had a big talk about this a couple months ago & I told him I’d really like to get engaged by the end of the year, so I’m going to give it until December and then revisit the topic. 

Post # 13
    10 posts
    Newbee

Please take me off the list, I’m engaged! I found this “official” waiting list after some time spent already waiting and discussing the egagement, so it seems quick to be off the list, but it hasn’t been a quick thing offline,

No photo here yet because we haven’t told all of the important people in our lives (he proposed the week before we move into our new home–no time!) Description below, though!

He surprised me on what I thought would just be a sweatpants, pizza and tv night to take a break from packing, and he was stunningly relaxed until about 5 minutes before. Even then, I didn’t expect it was about a proposal. 

It was perfect, intimate, and we got to take as much time as we needed to process what was happening (anyone else pull a Leslie Knope in Parks & Rec during her proposal? No, just me?) He started off with a couple small gifts from inside jokes (including a ring pop). I’m tankful he did it in private, I could focus on every single detail of what was happening and now on passerbys like in a more public setting. Plus, I got to wear yoga pants…and isn’t that always a win?

Things got downright unbelievable when he pulled out the actual ring and (after I hugged him for at least a few minutes and finally looked at it)…he revealed it was his very beloved late grandmoter’s ring. I can’t imagine a more perfect ring and the fact that it belonged to someone he loved so much is such an overwhelming honor. It’s an (obviously) vintage brilliant round cut with two dainty tapered baguettes on either side. His Mom graciously suggested that we change the setting to make it our own if we wanted, but I can’t imagine changing it..Fiance laughed when his mom gave it to him because it was EXACTLY the type of ring I had described liking. Amazinglly, even after being worn for 50+ years, it only needed to be resized and cleaned. 

I feel so deeply grateful to have this man and our relationship to commit our lives to. Still completely beside myself that we have the honor to start it with his beloved grandmoter’s ring.

The wait is worth it ladies!! Your time is coming soon!!

Post # 14
    24 posts
    Newbee

View original reply
    becks90 :  I would like to be added to the list please 😀

Post # 15
    24 posts
    Newbee

My boyfriend and I decided to purchase the ring together for financial reasons. It took A LOT of convincing, he’s very traditional, but I think he agreed that it shouldn’t be purchased on credit and that we should both keep our savings. So we went 50/50 on it. I haven’t seen the ring at all in person, it was purchased online from Kristin Coffins site, and the waiting has been pretty easy but now I’m  kind of wondering when he will pop the question. It’s been 6 months since it was bought! The waiting is getting to me now lol

The topic ‘The Waiting List (8/14/17)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors