(Closed) The Wedding Budget & Your Fiance

posted 7 years ago in Money
Post # 3
643 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Did you both discuss a final overall  bugdet number you’d try to stick to before beginning planning?

Post # 5
5993 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

my husband was clueless, clueless to how much things cost – what brought it home was my $5K flower budget when he honestly thought i would toddle off to the supermarket to pick up a bunch of $20 flowers to wrap a ribbon around for my bouquet 

we did elope but more because neither of us wanted a party/wedding for our greek & italian families –  hopefully your Fiance will see all the hard work, planning and money pay off for a beautiful and special day

Post # 6
3461 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Hmm, I’m not far enough along to be in your situation.  I’d just remind him that you’ve kept reasonably to the overall budget, which he agreed upon.  I’d also point out a few areas where you had discussed options and he approved a specific choice, and how that impacted the overall wedding.  Overall, wedding budgets cause sticker shock at one point or the other, whether it’s the beginning or the end.  Is there any chance think you’ll receive cash gifts that might defray a little of that cost?  (That is my fond hope, but I expect it’s unrealistic, particularly as I won’t have a honeymoon registry or anything like that.)

I looked online at budgets, and tried to create one based on that, then punching in figures when we got them.  So while I haven’t bought my dress, flowers, etc., before signing on a venue I have detailed excel charts on the options and include: room rental, appetizers, salad, dinner, dessert, coffee, any rentals/cleaning charges.  (I still need to call for bus rates.)  I showed the four venue options to my fiance and based on that, we narrowed it down to two.  He was horrified at the budget totals, and quized me about where I got the various estimates, but because they had thought behind them, he’s accepted as reasonable.  (Well, realistic, not reasonable!)  That’s helped us recognize that we want to keep the numbers down in order to keep the wedding affordable, because we’re not willing to compromise and not have an open bar (and a partial open bar doesn’t save much).  Obviously this isn’t something you can do.

Post # 8
575 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

We had set a budget before hand too, and we kept totals going throughout, and Fiance was reasonably involved. It is a LOT to spend in one day and although our final total is not in, I think we will end up going 10 – 15 % over budget, but after it was all said and done, it was totally worth it. It was such a beautiful day with friends and family!! Good luck!

The topic ‘The Wedding Budget & Your Fiance’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors