(Closed) therapy & healthy couples

posted 8 years ago in Relationships
  • poll: do healthy couples get couples counseling?
    yes, we do : (7 votes)
    28 %
    yes, i would if we had the extra $$ : (4 votes)
    16 %
    yes, if we needed to work through an issue! : (14 votes)
    56 %
    no, we don't, why would we need to, it's a waste of money if you're already happy :) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    806 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

If a healthy couple wants to go to couples’ counseling and enjoys doing so, I guess to each their own – but I don’t really see what’s the point if things are mostly smooth sailing in the relationship.

It’s like, if you were a happy individual would you seek out individual therapy?  Probably not.

Post # 5
    6009 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

We plan on going to counseling at least once a year for a “check-up” whether we’re happy or unhappy at the moment.  I think you can be happy in your marriage and still have problems to work out or still have things to learn that will make everything run smoother.  Everyone has some aspect of their relationship that could use work.

FWIW, I just scheduled our one year anniversary counseling session this week.  ๐Ÿ™‚  We’re a pretty happy couple, but imo, it’s good to have a little extra reassurance that we’re on the right track. 

Post # 6
    1251 posts
    Bumble bee

I have an anxiety disorder, so I go to therapy at my University. They also offer couples counseling, as long as one of the members of the couple is a student. We don’t go to therapy together, but my Psychologist always gives me things to talk about with my Fiance, which I think is awesome.

I think it might be interesting to do therapy with him. We get along great, but I think having a third party involved really helps to explore facets of yourself/ relationship that you might not know how to deal with.

Post # 7
    14186 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

we had to because we were required to. Otherwise, no, i wouldn’t have spent money on it. It would have been unnecessary for us.

Post # 8
    1585 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I think you should add an option for “yes we would go if we needed to work through something” 

Post # 9
    3125 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2009

maybe those people are well adjusted and happy b/c of the therapy ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 11
    2008 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2009

I think we have a very strong solid relationship.  Even so, I used to think that it would be nice to go to couple’s therapy if we had the money.  However, now that we have a house and things are still great between us I think I’m much less likely to spend it on counseling.  The state does put on free counseling classes that probably wouldn’t be a bad idea but we just really don’t have the motivation to go.

Post # 12
    751 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2010

We go and we have a great relationship.  Why do we go?  Well, for example, we spent this past weekend with FIs parents.  He has a really challenging relationship with his parents (they can be difficult but well meaning) and I am still figuring out my own relationship with them.  He’s great at setting boundaries with them, I’m not and I get really stressed around them.  We’re trying to figure out how to visit them without going crazy.  Talking to our therapist is helping us do that because what works for my Fiance does not work for me.  Together we figure out what works for US. 

Yes, we could likely figure it out on our own, but we both think we get there a lot faster having a neutral party point out the logical when our emotions are getting in the way of us seeing it!  It’s all about maintenance and communicating and navigating how to get what we need not only with each other, but our families, so that we continue to have a healthy and strong relationship! 

The topic ‘therapy & healthy couples’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors