(Closed) “they have 12 $140 place settings on their registry!”

posted 7 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
1810 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

My sister said her Boyfriend or Best Friend didn’t want to buy anything off our registry because he didn’t think my FH picked anything out– he thought I registered for everything and did not include FH. I told my sister that it’s not really his business who picked everything out because it’s for our house, but that he did actually help pick out all of the more expensive items. The only things he didn’t pick out are the little “filler” gifts. I also mentioned that it’s really awkward and difficult to make an appropriate registry as it is, and comments like that are rude.

I don’t think she liked my response, and I did respond in a snippy way, but I was pretty insulted. Then I specifically mentioned to her Boyfriend or Best Friend that my FH did, in fact, pick out a lot of our registered items.

ETA: This should probably be moved to the “Gifts and Registries” board.

Post # 4
471 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I definitely was at first, but then my mom had a great point… the registry is there to let them know what it is you’d like. It’s their decision whether or not they want to buy it. I decided to get a good selection in multiple price ranges so nobody will be left with just expensive things to choose from.

I still worry sometimes that people will think I’m greedy for wanting a nice set of china or the more expensive version of the electric mixer, but I’m hoping the selection will help balance out the varied judgements that some family members will inevitably have. Don’t worry about it, I think some people will always want to pass judgement on something you decided to include in your wedding, so you may as well register for what you want. 🙂

Post # 5
2714 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

People will always find something nasty to say. Fiance and I are going to register for what WE want and we will of course be sure to include a range of prices, people can think whatever they want about us. I never understood why people got weird about registries, I mean no one is forcing them to buy the $140 place settings…..

Post # 6
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I agree with PP as long as the registery gives choices no one is forced to buy anything.  I do like to have more expensive choices because I would buy the $140 place setting. 

Post # 7
3182 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Honestly, I kind of love making fun of people’s registries.  Like a $400 gravy boat.  Or 2 flat screen TV’s.  Or a pressure washer for a couple living in a 500 square foot apartment.  But it’s all in fun, if someone is seriously has a problem with your registry, don’t let it bother you. No one is forced to buy anything from it. 

Post # 8
921 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

we both had our own houses we combined we went through “sugggested registry lists” for like a month figureing out what we were missing. we finally just said screw it and registered for all new stuff and if we get it cool, new stuff and if not oh well…

Post # 9
318 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

I’ve always wondered why people get upset about registries… The couple has picked a few items out that they would like. If you’ve looked up a registry, it’s not that the couple is being tacky and asking for things, but that they’re helping you pick out something that want for their home. I mean, if there’s nothing left or on it in your price range, get them a gift card to go towards something on their registry.

Post # 10
217 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

My friend has a 495.00 blender.  Seriously?  Does it come with a lifetime supply of Tequila and limes????

Post # 12
4109 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

@kingytobe: I really want a Kitchenaid mixer too!!

I felt self concious at first when we created ours, but I made sure to include several inexpensive options in the mix…

Post # 13
426 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

People annoy me with registries. I feel like I want to sit down all the bitchers and lay it out for them.

First off: Just because it’s on the registry doesn’t mean you have to buy it for them. If you’re that offended buy them a can opener.

Secondly: China isn’t cheap. If they want it and will use it who are you to comment on it?

Third: A lot of couples place items on the registry to get the discount that’s offered (sometimes 10-15 off) for up to a year after the wedding date.

Finally: If you’re close enough to be invited to their wedding and are spending your time talking about their choices behind their backs, you must be a pain in the ass to know. I feel sorry for them having to use a guest spot for someone who will undoutbedly bitch and moan about everything, starting with the registry, and how it is either snooty, cheap, tacky or rude. Get over yourself. RSVP no, and enjoy your day 🙂

Post # 14
1664 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Uh oh, our place settings are $140 (but that’s the most expensive thing we have on there).  I also don’t understand why people get so upset.  It also seems like people say there is either too much or not enough on registries.  I don’t get it, it’s not like you have to buy these things anyway.

The topic ‘“they have 12 $140 place settings on their registry!”’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors