- 6 years ago
- Wedding: June 2013
The FH and I got engaged in November 2011, and we waited until after the holidays to start our venue search. We wanted to enjoy just being engaed. Big mistake! Originally, we wanted to get married in Fall 2012, but we quickly found out that all the venues we were looking at were already booked. We decided to push the wedding to Spring 2013 – ideally some time in late May. After looking at tons of venues, we settled on one in the mountains. Problem is that the only date left in the Spring is April 13, 2013. The next available date is July 6, 2013. We both decided that early April in the mountains was going to be way too cold. Problem is that July 6, 2013 is considered a “holiday weekend,” something I was trying to avoid. Here are the pros/cons:
-Our wedding will be near DC, which is a fun destination for July 4.
-I looked up flights and hotels for the July 4, 2012 weekend coming up and the prices are still normal, so I assume guests will be able to find decent flight and hotel prices if we give them plenty of notice.
-July 4, 2013 falls on a Thursday, so people could still do activities July 4 & July 5 with their families or friends if they wanted to, and then come to our wedding.
-Guests who choose to take or have that Friday off will have longer to travel.
-We don’t have that many guests who would come from out of town – maybe 20 or so at most.
-I don’t want to do any sort of July 4 theme or laid-back event. There will be no hamburgers, no red, blue and white theme, etc. We want to keep things relatively formal.
-I don’t want to take up people’s only summer holiday.
-Traffic in the area could be terrible.
-Prices could be more expensive generally (for us and for the guests).
So, what should we do? Postpone the wedding even more? I haven’t inquired as to dates available past July 6, but I was told that September (which is similar to May weather-wise here) is still pretty open. I’d hate to postpone things even more though…who knew places would be booked 16-18 months out! We also had our hearts set on a Spring anniversary since we have a lot of other holidays in the late-October to December range to celebrate already.
We have to decide soon, as this place is booking like crazy. So, what do you think of a holiday wedding given our circumstances? Please help!