My future SIL actually JUST got married to a guy she met on plenty of fish about a year ago. She had a court house wedding earlier this year (after 8 months of knowing him) and then just had another “proper” wedding at a banquet hall recently.
While I get that there’s no “one size fits all” arrangement for length of dating before marrying, her marriage raised some red flags and made her family concerned for several reasons.
1) She had to bail him out of a bad financial predicament with her own money long before they even got engaged. Which means that she had barely known the guy at the time she was giving him her money.
2) It was her first relationship. She had never really dated around or gotten to know several other guys before committing quickly to him.
3) It was an online dating scenario, and no one could understand why they were rushing to a committment or wedding. It isn’t in her personality at all to be the one to “wear the pants” in the relationship or push a guy to marry her. She doesn’t have that kind of confidence. So, people questioned what his motives were to make her jump into marriage with him so fast.
4) Her family caught her now-husband in several lies before getting married.
5) And this one may sound superficial, but it’s the truth; she herself is a very cute girl. She could easily find a guy who is her equal in looks and interests. But her husband is very short, and fat, and clearly doesn’t care much about how he looks. I get it that looks don’t always matter, so please don’t jump all over me for that. But I just can’t see where the attraction is. I can predict her potentially going in 5 years “hum, I’m not attracted to the guy anymore…I just can’t do it anymore”. Which happens ALOT in relationships.
6) this may seem silly, but the night before the wedding we found out that her husband made her stay up all night to clean up his house for the next day since they had family coming over beforehand. I get wanting a clean house and all, but really? The night before your big day youre gonna demand your wife to be act like a maid?
So basically, there was a huge question mark hovering their entire union. But we speculate that with her personality, she will probably always be happy with what he has to offer since she doesn’t really know any better.
So that sums up about how I feel that sometimes quick-to-marriage unions are often not the greatest idea for alot of couples.