(Closed) Thoughts on waterside NYC wedding in 2009?

posted 10 years ago in New York City
Post # 4
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2008

Have you looked at Bridgewaters, down by South Street Seaport?  They have fantastic views of the Brooklyn Bridge and the financial district.  The food is supposed to be really really good.

http://www.theglaziergroup.com/restaurants/bridgewaters/index.html

I’m getting married there this summer.  What I love is that everything is taken care of – no need to look for outside cake caterers or rentals.  What’s not so fabulous is that I had to choose from a list of florists.  My florist is fantastic, though, and very well-publicized in all the bridal mags. 

I also looked at Pier 60 at Chelsea Piers (next to Lighthouse).  Pier 60 is more "finished" and refined than Lighthouse, which is more of the industrial warehouse look.  Both places are catered by Abigail Kirsch.  If you go to Pier 60, ask to work with Julie Orsini — she was FANTASTIC.  

Post # 5
359 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

We’re getting married at Battery Gardens this August and I could not be happier with the venue we chose!

We actually looked at Water’s Edge and the Lighthouse and BBG (yes, I did ALOT of research with spreadsheets to prove it).

We fell in love with Battery Gardens because of the view and the decor and we’re in the middle of the park! More than 50% of our guests are Out of Town and mostly international, so we really wanted to give them the New York experience but still keep it young and modern. You mentioned having the ceremony onsite and at Battery Gardens you can have it outside set against the water or a large oak tree with hanging lanterns.

We didn’t want our guests to fly to NY and then go out to Brookyln for BBG (as gorgeous as it is) and we were iffy on the ferry for Water’s Edge. The Lighthouse is a great space but too large for us, but if you’re having a large wedding, definitely check it out.

Also check out Bridgewaters. It has a fantastic view of the Brookyln Bridge from it’s rooftop balcony area and also delicious food!

Message me if you have any questions! and goodluck!

Post # 6
212 posts
Helper bee

We looked at a lot of these places:  bridgewaters, battery gardens and botanical gardens. 

We didnt like the botantical gardens b/c it wasn’t in manhattan but if you don’t care about your wedding being in the city, you can also check out stage 6 at steiner studios.  they have great views of the city and the water.

Bridgewaters was nice being that it’s in the seaport (cobblestone streets, cute storefronts, water view) but there are 2 event spaces there so 2 weddings can be going on at the same time.  Also, if you use the smaller space, it’s not fully enclosed which I didn’t like.

Battery Gardens was also very nice but there’s a lot of construction going on in the park (I know b/c I live across the street from it) so I didn’t want to deal with that.  Also, the staircase to the space is right in the middle of the room which made for a weird configuration.  But great ceremony options (outdoor/indoor) and we heard great things about the food.

Post # 7
1 posts
Wannabee

We’re getting married on "The Lexington" in June.  It docks at 23rd and the East River. 

http://www.prestigeyachtcharters.com/yacht_lexington.asp

We’re having around 60 guests but this company has yachts that fit larger parties.

The boat goes up and down the East River, The Hudson, then goes through the harbor right up to the Statue of Liberty! 

Prices are similar to other venues I looked at (halls, lofts, etc).

Post # 9
31 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2008

You could go with the Liberty House on the Jersey side so you can have NYC in the background of all the photos.  🙂

Post # 10
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2008

there is also the botanical gardens in the bronx – not waterside, but a really pretty outdoor ceremony space and abigail kirsch catering! its an easy train from new york.

We are having 70% of people Out of Town and ended up deciding to spare everyone the expense of Manhattan so are getting married in the Hudson Valley.  I love how peaceful and beautiful it is up there – and it gives people the option of spending time in NYC before or after.  But I totally get the pull of a Manhattan wedding too!!

Post # 11
17 posts
Newbee

I went to a wedding at Bridgewaters last Sept.  It was sooo nice. 

The topic ‘Thoughts on waterside NYC wedding in 2009?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors