(Closed) Tiffany & Co “Etoile” wedding band. Platinum or 18K gold??

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 4
18 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@LLBlueJay: I was considering this too, and did end up with the Tiffany. I love it, but will say I lost a diamond within the first year,  TCO replaced it for no charge, but 3 years later when I lost another, they made me pay to repair/replace.

But see this from Blue Nile in platinum for $1130, they get good reviews.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_4959#ProductDetails

Post # 5
510 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Here’s a similar one from bluenile: http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-ring-platinum_4959

We got my ering and my fiance’s wedding ring from them and they are AMAZING.  They even let him get two rings to compare and send one back, and their customer service is always reachable.  I highly recommend them.

Lol, oops, just saw crabbyappleton’s post above me.

Post # 6
5668 posts
Bee Keeper

I’m not much help in terms of having this wedding band (though I do have a Tiffany e-ring). I would say though, go with platinum unless you have an e-ring in a different metal. The extra $400 is worth not having to get the ring redipped, imo.

Post # 7
1074 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I also love the Etoile and had a custom version made in Platinum for $1600 with a lifetime guarantee on the diamonds. It has 8 diamonds and our two birthstones in it. 

Post # 8
10453 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

My aunt actually has a similar band to this. If you’re not getting an e-ring, you don’t have to worry about matching metals. I’d go with platinum personally to avoid the re-dip thing because I really don’t like the yellowing of white gold. Or… there’s always palladium, if you can find it offered in that metal. I am going with that because it seems like a good balance between the price of white gold/platinum but with the ability to stay white.

Post # 9
326 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I was just about to make a post asking about Platinum vs White Gold! Gold is up so high right now the price of Platinum isn’t much more but I don’t know much about the pros/cons.

Beautiful band btw!

Post # 11
1676 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

If you can afford it, go platinum. It’s more expensive for a reason – it doesn’t scratch as easily, and it doesn’t yellow. But, that being said, if you choose gold, decide that the most important factor is to you – do you want it to be harder? Then choose a lower karat gold. Do you want it to be more pure? Choose a higher karat gold.

Post # 12
233 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I have the Tiffany Etoile band in platinum. I think it’s the most beautiful ring out there 🙂 

If you have time, I would suggest looking on eBay as the Tiffany Etoile band is very popular as a “re-sell” item and is often on there.  Just be careful that you know your size (and the seller has the correct size and papers from Tiffany to prove it) as you know this band can not be re-sized.

As for the ring itself, my preference is platinum.  It is the longest lasting and will now wear down or need to be replated, such as white gold.  

Platinum, like any metal, will scratch and scuff.  That is one benefit from buying from Tiffany’s… they will buff it out for you any time. 

I also use MAAS metal polish at home which always makes it look brand new again, it’s amazing!  http://www.maasinc.com/products_metalpolish.aspx

The topic ‘Tiffany & Co “Etoile” wedding band. Platinum or 18K gold??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors