(Closed) Time gap b/t ceremony & reception — what to do with wedding party

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
676 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

You could join the cocktail hour or if your hotel is nearby maybe have a meal or snacks sent up for you, the groom and the BP?

Post # 4
1230 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

I have been to several weddings with the "catholic gap" and trust me, it’s not a big deal!  We always find something fun to do in between – or we just go back to our room and regroup/freshen up.  Don’t worry about this – your guests will be fine 🙂

Regarding your wedding party, during this time you can go take some great pictures.  

A good friend of mine had the gap.  She and her hubby took the wedding party to get some great photo ops.  Then they stopped and had a cocktail at a local pub.  It was so fun and relaxed.  The best part of her plan was that she and hubby arrived at the cocktail hour before any guests and did their receiving line as all their guests entered the reception.  It was perfect: everyone got to talk to them and they got to enjoy their own cocktail hour.  Just an idea!

Post # 5
232 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

mrs k2be is right – your issue is so common it has a name – the "catholic gap."  i have one too.  our ceremony is at 1:30pm (the latest we can have it) and our cocktail hour starts at 5pm.  we figure this will give us time to take our pictures after our ceremony and do our receiving line at our cocktail hour.  it will be a nice time to mingle with our guests.  all of our guests are from out of town, so this will give them time to check into their hotel rooms before the ceremony (check-in time isn’t until 3pm) and have a little break before the reception.  we arranged a shuttle to pick up guests at the hotel 4:30pm to bring them to the reception.  in addition, we also have recommendations on our website on how to ‘fill the gap’ if some guests want to explore the area a bit.

Post # 6
2640 posts
Sugar bee

Over 90% of the weddings I’ve been to have had this gap.  I think every one of them has had the Bp going to take pictures during this time.

Post # 8
1573 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Oh hgood, I thought I was the only  one stressing out, my ceremony is at 3pm ends at 4pm, so theres 30 minutes for the church pics, then me and my new hubby will take pics at central park, that leaves one hour for the guests to hag around the hotel lobby before reception at 6pm, I stressing what will they do, but Im glad my gap isnt that long 1 1/2 hours tops 

Post # 9
903 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

What about going to a local park if the weather’s nice? I was at a wedding with the "catholic gap" and that’s what we did, along with several of the bridesmaids.

The topic ‘Time gap b/t ceremony & reception — what to do with wedding party’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors