(Closed) Timeline advice for pre-ceremony cocktail hour & same location?

posted 9 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

I think this looks pretty good, but maybe some things to think about (if you haven’t already):

• How many guests are you having?  And what kind of meal are you planning?  Depending on the size of your guest list and the type of meal being served (plated, buffet, stations, etc…) people could still be eating dinner during the cake cutting.  you could always move the dances and cake cutting back a little bit to give yourself more time.
  • Maybe reconsider your start time for the cocktail hour?  If you put 6:00 pm on the invitation, some people will be early.  If guests arrive 15 minutes (or more) early, will they have a place to go until the coktail hour starts?  It might be worth considering to start the cocktail hour at 5:45 pm with 6:00 pm on the invites so you can accomodate those early birds. 
  • Again, depending on the size of your reception, and the number of candid photos you want to take, it might be difficult to get all the people you want in your candid pictures.  I think it helps to have a list made-up beforehand of people you want in the pictures, just so nobody is missed.
  • It’s also my experience that people will probably not go immediately from the ceremony to eating dinner, even if it’s in the same room.  I might build in a little extra time after the ceremony (say 15 minutes) for people to congratulate you/visit with you before dinner service.
  • The only other thing I see is that it looks like you and your Fi won’t have a chance to eat!  Can you eat before the ceremony while you’re “hiding out”? 

Post # 4
372 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’d also consider cutting the cake before you do the dances (some even do this before dinner).  that way you won’t have to interrupt dancing time and you can go straight from the traditional dances into guest dancing.  

The topic ‘Timeline advice for pre-ceremony cocktail hour & same location?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors