- 6 years ago
- Wedding: April 2013
We have a kink in our plans and I want to get your thoughts of the day of timeline. Our venue normally only books one wedding per day, but they are letting a family friend use the property for his ceremony only at 4PM. Initially they told us that this meant we could not start until 6PM, but since then they’ve said it’d be too difficult and the ceremony would have to be at 7PM. The time is an 8 hour block, I asked them to pro-rate the hours since I don’t expect guests to stay until 1AM, but they won’t do that. Initially we wanted to do the cocktail hour before the ceremony, but I don’t think that will work anymore and we’re planning to have a short ceremony (15-20min) but that still puts dinner pretty late. Fiance suggested doing dinner first, then the ceremony, and then cocktails, cake, etc.
If we don’t do dinner first I think we need to offer some appetizers so people don’t starve, which I envision as:
5-7PM Photos, get ready
7-745PM Cocktails + snacks
7:45 – 8PM wrap up cocktails, move everyone to ceremony
8:15-8:30PM move everyone to dinner
8:30-8:35PM Mr. & Mrs. announced
8:35-8:40PM 1st Dance
8:40-10:00PM Dinner, speeches, cake cutting
10:00 – 10:15 Family dances
10:15 – 12:30AM Dancing
If we do it as Fiance suggested,
8-8:15 Move everyone to ceremony, I change into my dress…
8:30-8:45 Relocate to reception
8:45-9:45 Cocktails, cake, etc.
This second way is a little untraditional, but it would save people (myself included) from getting hangry. Dinner might be crunched though since we’re up against sunset.
Because of this change we’re not locked into this venue, our second choice also had a 6PM start time (but with less distance between ceremony and reception locations). We decided to do this venue because we thought we could start earlier, but still avoid the mid-day heat. The first option is a more natural setting, which we felt reflected us more, but the other is equally beautiful (formal garden) and we had a really difficult time choosing. What do you think – should we stick with this one despite the timing or go with our second option?