(Closed) tipping the planner $500?

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: would you tip the wedding planner?
    NO, they work for a set fee : (15 votes)
    54 %
    a set tip (or gift) of $100 or less : (8 votes)
    29 %
    a set tip (or gift) of over $100 : (1 votes)
    4 %
    10% of her total fee : (1 votes)
    4 %
    other (explain) : (3 votes)
    11 %
  • Post # 3
    1014 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2011

does your event planner have her own company?  if she’s the owner/proprietor, then technically you would not have to tip her because she sets her own rates.  if she works for another company, you may tip her accordingly.  i think the gift card would be a very nice gesture…. honestly, if her rate is $5k, i think you’re paying her quite a bit already, so anything above that should be appreciated.

ETA: $20 tip for your photog? that’s crazy low, again assuming your photog is not the owner/proprietor of the business.

Post # 5
    963 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

I didn’t know you were supposed to tip the photographer…strange.  I wouldn’t think you’d have to tip the wedding coordinator either.  I’m all about tipping, but mostly because waitstaff get $2.13/hour and need tips as part of their salary and hairdressers have give most of their money to the business they work for – essentially making them have to work for tips too.  I think this tipping thing has gotten out of hand.  I think what you are giving her is MORE than enough.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld where Elaine askes the guy at the airport how much people usually tip and he tells her and she gets pissed because she thinks he’s making it up to get a bigger tip.

Post # 7
    4804 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Wow…so if $500 would be a 10% tip then your wedding planner costs $5000?!

That’s half of my entire budget!  I thought they worked for a set fee.

Post # 8
    294 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I am a DOC and I set my fees up front. I’ve had a few clients tip me if they feel I’ve gone above and beyond or exceeded their expectations of my work. I work for myself and it’s per diem work. Even when I was a full time planner….I just can’t wrap my head around that.

The only payment I expect after an event is if I have receipts for last minute reimbursements. (For example, I did a wedding where a groomsman didn’t check his tux until the day of the wedding and I literally ran two blocks through Atlantic City to Brooks Brothers to purchase a tie and kerchief for him.)

Tips should be given based on level of customer/client service based on contracted services.

Hope this helps.

Post # 10
    5761 posts
    Bee Keeper

I thiink you should give her a more generic gift card (why Aveda?) and call it a day. I can’t even imagine tipping that much, so since its only a ‘suggestion’, do exactly what you want.

Post # 11
    6661 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2010

The only vendors I tipped were my makeup and hair artists who left their studios on a Saturday to make me look beautiful in my bridal suite. Everyone else like the photog, DOC, videographer, caterer I feel like that’s business as usual and tip is worked into the price. Also, like the point you made in the OP, the prices were so high for those other vendors that even a 5% tip would have been several hundred dollars. And that just seems kind of crazy to me!

Post # 12
    7300 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2012

I am SO sick of vendors expecting tips! SCREW those guidelines! They all work on a set fee and anything extra is nice. There shouldn’t be a SET percentage. The ONLY people who are suppose to get tips are people who actually LIVE off of tips! Servers, bartenders, deliver people, ect. If I am paying $5000 for planning services, that vendor is not getting a tip. If I am paying a caterer X amount of dollars, I’m not tipping him. I will tip the servers and bartenders in person. (I’ve worked as a banquet server. The catering manager never split the tips fairly so I vowed to never give the tip to the manager. Fuck them. They make a set amount.)

Even limo drivers want tips now! Why!? Are they making $2.50/hr? I think not! If I do tip you, be happy it’s something. It’s not going to be a set percentage either.

The ONLY people who have to worry about set percentages of tipping are servers/bartenders because their taxes are based on sales. They should be making at least 15-20% of their total sales.

</rant>

The topic ‘tipping the planner $500?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors