- 6 years ago
- Wedding: March 2013
Hi ladies 🙂
So I’ve been working with my budget spreadsheet and came across the tips and gratuities section only to realize I have no idea what tipping etiquette is for wedding vendors! i googled “tipping wedding vendors” and after reading various sources, I’m more confused than ever, as there seems to be inconsistency regarding tipping. I’d love to know your thoughts so please feel free to share any wisdom! As a reference point, I live in NYC but am getting married in NJ. Which of these vendors do I need to tip and how much?
1. My ceremony/reception venue has a built in gratuity and administrative fee of 20%. Do I still need to separately top bartenders, waiters, bridal attendant or wedding coordinator?
2. Harpist is self employed and I found her through the Internet. I negotiated her down to $500 from her normal $600 rate. She is playing for 1-1.5 hours (length of ceremony).
3. Wedding band is self employed (not through an agency) and I am paying the 7piece band $4550 for 5 hours.
4. Photographer (self employed) is charging $4800 for 8 hour engagement session and 2 wedding day photographers (him and his wife) for 10 hours. I met him through a prior client and so he came up with a discounted package for us, including waiving their standard 15% gratuity charge. How much do we tip him on e-photo day and on wedding day?
5. Photobooth attendant. He’ll be there for 5 hours.
6. Florist is doing the entire wedding for $4000. I think she normally has a built in gratuity fee (not sure) but waived it bc we are paying in cash. She is also self employed.
7. Makeup/hair stylist package for one of each for 4 hours for $1400. They stated at consultation that clients usually tip between 15-20%. Just want to confirm that’s the norm.
Thank you in advance! I sincerely appreciate your responses!