(Closed) Tipping…but 20% is 450 a waiter??

posted 8 years ago in Money
Post # 3
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

My caterer included an 18% tip on their services in our contract.

Post # 4
291 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I know that my ” tax and tip” is included in our overall price and the tip is set at 18%.  When I worked at a catering hall/banquet facility, we NEVER saw any extra money that was shelled out.  If you ARE going to tip at the end of the night, be sure it goes to each actual staff memeber. 

Post # 6
146 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I think the total tip woulbe be 450, divided by the waitstaff.

Post # 8
514 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2011

It’s whatever percent total for all the waitstaff, not each person. So if it’s $450 and you have 10 servers, they each get $45 not each $450.

Post # 9
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

@starcharades: are you figuring on just the food? I would not include the other venue costs in your figuring…

Post # 10
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I can’t imagine a waiter expecting a $450 tip!  That would likely be many times what they are being paid per hour.

Post # 11
1801 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I’m guessing you have very few servers for a pretty hefty catering bill.  In that case, I’d think something more like a dollar amount per server would be appropriate.  As a server, we knew not to necessarily expect a tip based on the alcohol, tax or service charge, so I wouldn’t calculate the tip on those things.  Like PP said, I’d specify how much you are giving per server so that there’s no question who gets the tip and how much you are intending.

Post # 12
1328 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Its definitely going to be split, but probably by the caterers.  Ours is just 20% of the total, minus taxes.  they split it however they like.  I’m not worrying about that at all

Post # 14
1328 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Our total bill will be $1300.  20% of that is $260.  We’re having 10 servers, so that’s $26 each.  Hope that helps any?

Post # 15
1135 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2009

In a situation like this, you do NOT tip 20% per waiter.  You tip 20% of the total (or 18% or whatever you feel is appropriate) and it will be divided between the catering staff.  

Post # 16
648 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

When I worked as a waitress it was at a restaurant that spealized in large groups. If I (I was the head waitress so i did this not the manager/owner) added in the 20% tip at the end of the meal and had help we split the total amount. As in the tip was $450 and we split 4 ways we would each get $112.50.

My cousin works at a banquet hall and it’s the same way.

The topic ‘Tipping…but 20% is 450 a waiter??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors