(Closed) Tips & what to bring for FIRST time trying on dresses?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
14496 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Shoes at the same height that you plan to wear for your wedding day, strapples bra, camera, pad and paper to make notes on each dress and write down as much info as you can, hair tie or clippy, and pictures of styles or specific dress you would like to try on.

Post # 4
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

Strapless bra
Pictures of dresses you like
Price range you want to stay under
People (mom, sister, friends,) whose opinion you value

Where in WI just out of curiosity? I’m in the Madison area 🙂

Post # 6
2907 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

pictures of dresses you like

list of what you tend to like, tend to dislike

strapless bra

non ugly underpants (and non-thong)

people you want with you

any heirloom jewelry or anything else that you *must* wear and need to match

an open mind– often you find a very different dress than you pictured on the model or hanger.

good luck!

Post # 7
1501 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Bring someone who you trust to give you an honest opinion.

Don’t do what I did and wear a thong, cover your butt, I wasn’t thinking and a lot of people saw my butt that day!

I wouldn’t worry too much about writing down, where I went they kept track of my favourites after each dress I tried on. And I left remembering what I really liked to the ladies with me, so I could just try them on.

Remember to relax and have fun!

Post # 8
2450 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

i wore spanx bottoms and a strapless bra.

Post # 8
2450 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

i wore spanx bottoms and a strapless bra.

Post # 9
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@LilPrettyBride: I got my dress in Platteville (I’m originally from Northern IL). That’s quite a drive for you, but they were so helpful and I just love them. I never went to Vera’s, but they have really good reviews. If you are going to come all the way to Madison, I would recommend going a little further and going to Brandi’s Bridal’s in New Glarus (20 min south of Madison) They were great too and they have a special ‘discount room’ that you have to ask about. My cousin got her dress for $200 from that room.

Post # 10
1093 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I wore a little extra make up and curled my hair so when I looked at myself in the mirror I could imagine what I would look like on my wedding day and that really helped. I knew in my heart that it was “the one”. I felt comfortable and could see myself walking down the aisle, dancing and even knew I would be comfortable sitting. I didn’t care if the dress was free and I looked stunning, if I wasn’t comfortable … forget it!!!  I knew I made the right choice and I never looked back. Good luck on your search.

Post # 11
700 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

Strapless bra

Undies that cover

Make sure all the people that come wiith you have a camera – my mom and Future Mother-In-Law took awful but realistic pictures (unposed), while my sis/MOH took the detail and big picture shots

Don’t expect to cry, unless you’re just that emotional

Know your budget

Don’t eat a huge lunch beforehand – I made that mistake

Post # 12
178 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I def second the undies that cover! The first time i went i was prepared with everthing but they gave me a pettycoat and one of those long line bras so i was very covered! the second time, i assumed they would do the same so i wore an ugly thong and a regular bra, but i was wrong they didnt provide me with anything to cover and i felt so awkward the whole time! haha

but anywaysif you plan to wear heals on your wedding day i would def bring a pair of heels because that can change your overall look

also, a strapless bra, a hair tie, pictures of dresses you like, and a camera if they allow pictures

have fun!!

Post # 15
165 posts
Blushing bee

Please do not wear a thong. A friend of mine works in bridal shop and she can’t believe how many brides come in wearing thongs. It is quite uncomfortable for the person helping you into the dress, especially if it is a smaller size you are trying to get into. She has been much to close to a bride’s butt way too often.

The topic ‘Tips & what to bring for FIRST time trying on dresses?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors