Post # 1
First time poster here, but I have been lurking for a while reading your very useful posts, particularly about bustling. Since I’m finally married last April, I’m now able to share you some tips about bustling, particularly for tulle A-line wedding dresses. Here’s the final three-point bustle that I modified myself, because I was not happy with the bustle my seamstress made for me. Btw, when I said “modified”, I meant I found a trick to make the three original points work.
(sorry, I don’t know how to make the photo portrait; for now the WeddingBee system has made it a landscape instead…)
link removed for violation of TOS against self promotion]
It’s a rather long post, for it also covers my shopping experience and the corset back alteration. But the bustle section is the longest section, so I hope it will help some ladies who are currently in a conundrum of what to do with their gorgeous tulle dresses…
Btw, the front view of the dress is below, along with my gorgeous bridesmaid dresses. My dress is a discontinued Jonathan James ivory number.
Post # 2
I’m glad you got everything to work out to your satisfaction. HOWEVER, i would NOT recommend that brides start hacking up the layers of their dress themselves because of a bustle. The best tip you could give a bride would be to find a seamstress who knows what she is doing. And if your doesn’t seem to get it, go find a new one. The fact that your seamstress didn’t even know what a French bustle was or how to make one was a huge red flag. That’s the point that you should have taken your dress to be bustled elsewhere.
Ideally, the underlayers of your dress would have had a French bustle and the top layers of tulle an American bustle. This would have kept it from being so poufy on your butt, will also not putting too much strain on the points (holding up all the layers on a few points often leads to breakage). My seamstress did this easily to my dress. The layers were attached to each other (dress makers do this to keep everything from separating much like they see down the vents on a men’s suit); those layers are meant to be snipped apart for alterations. My seamstress then added a snap back into the train to keep the layers together when the train is out, but allow the layers to be separated and bustled accordingly later.
A lot of your issues just sound like you had a seamstress who really wasn’t all that familiar with wedding gowns.
Your make-do bustle solution is actually too short. Your dress should be bustled with a very slight sweep train – you can see that your resulting hemline is uneven and too short in the back. Again, glad it worked out for you, but i wouldn’t recommend this.
Post # 3
catskillsinjune : thanks for your comment, although I honestly didn’t expect such a strong opposition for my well-intended post….
I never suggested the brides to hack their lining. What I suggested was making use of the existing three point bustles and fold or hook them in the non-traditional, or non usual way…
In my case, I trimmed my inner lining big time because it was something that was to be done anyway, and my seamstress did trim the inner lining, but she did not trim enough.
In a normal condition, I would find another seamstress. However, as I stated in my blog, the seamstress delivered me the dress on a Friday afternoon before I had to go overseas on the next Tuesday. I live in a small town in Australia, and we don’t have enough seamstresses to work on wedding dresses. There was another seamstress in my mind, but there was no way that I could ask her to do the bustle in one working day.
Thus, the solution that I offered worked for me, and astt I stated, it might work for others. I also stated that this option might be explored if all else failed… I understand the back hem of my dress was not even, but it’s a small price to pay compared to an unaesthetic-looking bustle, or having to hold the train all night long…
i do agree that my seamstress wasn’t the appropriate person to do the bustling. I’m not sure if any seamstress in my town can do other than one point over bustle, actually. I might be wrong, but I didn’t have time to explore. The seamstress did deliver a good job in the corset back part, so I wasn’t bitter with her. She did take a long time though, 10 weeks should be enough for an alteration, but not in her case.
Thanks anyway for your comments…
Post # 4
I realised that the forum has removed my link for violation against self-promotion. I will not post the link anymore here then.
If anyone would like to know how I achieved the look, just PM me. Here’s the photo of the train.
And this is the sketch of the way I folded the dress. I attached the dress’ right loop to the left button (purple line) and the left loop to the right button (blue line). The crisscrossing actually “flattened” up the tulles, thus no jutting chicken butt. I then hooked the middle loop not to any spinal buttons. Instead, I tied it with the corset lace, placing the train as high as possible to where I would tie the corset lace into a nice ribbon (red line). This trick covers most of the crisscross section created by the left and right hooks.
Post # 5
and photos of the left side after being bustled:
and the right view after the bustling: