- 7 years ago
- Wedding: April 2012
It seems so simple to say hey just wear whatever you like as long as it a knee length purple dress. And it may turn out beautifully or it may just not work well and you may end up with frustrated bridesmaid. Do you throw in the towel and head to your nearest bridal store for matching dresses and give up your dream?
Here are some tips to having mismatched work and easy
1. Picasa collage or other styleboard maker is your friend. Come up with at selection of dresses that fit your vision in your bridesmaids price range. Go to several stores online especially if your bridesmaids are geographically dispersed. Remember to record the name of the store or save the link as a favorite. They do need to have some unifying quality. It is shades of a certain color? All chiffon? Find pictures of mismatched bridesmaids that you like with the bride and pick out why the dresses work together. Now turn it into a collage – suggestion is 2-3 times the number of dresses that would work more than the attendants. So if you have 4 attendants choose 12 dresses.
2. Put your wedding dress in the collage/styleboard. The picture below which is a daytime nautical would look adorable with a crisp clean taffeta dress. A very blingy Ines di Santo would look out of place. You will be taking adorable pictures with your attendants – you want it to be cohesive. If you like it then remove it from the collage.
3. Send the picture that you liked of mismatched bridesmaids (some may be skeptical) and the styleboard to your attendants. Explain their dress does not have to come from the board but it can and you have the details but if they want something different to please send you a picture before they buy it. Explain it will be first come first serve so if two girls love the same dress whoever gets it first gets to wear it.
4. Keep the shoes neutral – they do not have to match but if the dresses are mismatched then you do not want the shoes to stand out too.
5. Be prepared for some resistance and just keep your cool. Also things in the picture do not always look the same in person. Be prepared to exchange something that is not a color that would work
Here are a few examples to help – for the examples I broke the rule of a variety of stores and all images are from modcloth.com because I am lazy . . .
Daytime nautical wedding
Romantic Vintage Wedding
Sophisticated Christmas or Valentines evening wedding