Post # 1
im overwhelmed by all the google options – aspirin, a penny, vinegar, a lemon, sugar
any tips to keep cut flowers fresh? i just bought some gorgeous yellow roses and i want them to last as long as possible!!!
Post # 3
Don’t use the drop of bleach that’s often recomended! I use half an aspirin and a bit of icing sugar.
Post # 4
1. Pull the leaves off the stems (so none of them will be below the water line / rot)
2. Fill the vase you want to use with warm water
3. Stir in a crushed up aspirin (or the “flower preservative” that comes with the bouquet)
4. Cut off 1/2 to 3/4 inch of stem from the flowers, and put them immediately into the water
5. Display in a not too hot area of your home… (OR transfer to them a cooler spot at night*).. so the flowers will last longer
6. Change the water every 2 days
7. When changing the water, cut back the stems, check the leaves (any now going to be lower down and in the water ?)… and remove any dead-heads
Flowers will last at least a week.
Roses 10 to 14 days… sometimes longer.
Hope this helps,
* Myself I tend to display the flowers in the main part of our home during the day, so they can be enjoyed… and then move them to our dimly lit cooler foyer at night…
Post # 5
At our restaurant, we used to use a mix of sprite and water (1:1) in our vases. The florist who supplied our flowers recommended it. You can re-cut the stems every few days when you change the water. If they’re not opening up well, give them a quick blow or two to spread the petals open.
Post # 6
my mother has always used aspirin. she swears by it. she tosses out the little packets of flower food that come with flowers, and uses little tabs of aspirin instead. i plan to do this for my wedding flowers.
i myself have only used the little packets of flower food. then again, i’ve only dealt with delivered flowers or grocery store flowers, both of which have come with the packets.
also, cut the stems at a 45 degree angle, and trim them down every couple days if you can.
this reminds me, i need to switch out the water on my daisies from last week…
Post # 7
Thanks for all the advice! These are my beautiful flowers (which i bought for myself as yellow flowers make me smile!) They need a bit of arrangjng i think!