(Closed) To Belt or Not to Belt? That is the question.

posted 8 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Belt or no belt?
    With a belt! : (101 votes)
    71 %
    No belt - it's not plain : (42 votes)
    29 %
  • Post # 18
    165 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

I think that these pictures are a little misleading.  As they are, I would say “yes go for the belt” because the pictures really only show the top half of the dress, which is simple.  However, seeing that you have a ruffled skirt, I think that takes the dress from simple to wow and most likely the belt is not needed and the dress is beautiful as is.

With that said…  I vote no belt!

Post # 21
    173 posts
    Blushing bee

@springbride23:  I’d keep it mind, I bet you would be able to make it as it’s not an overly complicated project.

I’m making my own sash/belt as well and these are what I’m using as guides/inspiration

http://thecraftqueen.wordpress.com/2013/08/30/23-diy-wedding-bridal-sash/ (this is the long ribbon and bow type that is a “sash”)

http://designwaffle.com/2013/02/05/diy-beaded-wedding-belt/ (this is the kind with a hook and eye clasp which makes it a “belt”)

Post # 22
    3154 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

@springbride23:  I’d go with a belt if there is a cheaper option!

Post # 23
    289 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

After you posted the full-length photo, it seemed obvious to me to NOT go with a belt. It’s a beautiful dress with so much texture, the belt looks out of place and like a distraction. I’d skip the belt and go with a sparkly necklace =)

Post # 24
    84 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

Also Anthropologie sells pretty nice belts that don’t have the wedding mark-up. Something to think about. Don’t buy a $350 belt, please!

Post # 25
    2567 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013 - Rhode Island

Buy a belt from Etsy or rent one from Rent the Runway.  RTR has a whole bridal section where you can rent hairpieces, veils, and belts for way cheaper than you could buy them.  And they’re super nice!  You don’t need to spend that much money on something you’ll wear once and be unlikely to re-sell afterwards.

Post # 26
    8375 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

When I saw the details on your gown, I was prepared to say “no belt,” … until I saw the belt! Unfortunately for your wallet, I love that belt with your dress!

I spent $500 on a cathedral-length veil, $260 on a Swarovski crystal headband/tiara, and you-don’t-even-want-to-know-how-much-even-on-sale for a Badgley Mischka bridal purse that no one even saw, etc., so, if you love that belt and have the money to buy it, I think you should go for it!

Post # 27
    70 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

@springbride23:  I’m wearing a belt that was super overpriced – $250 but I LOVE it so initially when I saw this post I was all “get the belt! DUH” but now that I’ve seen the full-length picture of your dress I have changed my mind…

It doesn’t need a belt!! I actually think that the belt makes you look too segmented, since the dress is already very clearly two distinct parts. I think it’s lovely without the belt, so if you like it without the belt put that money towards a really beautiful veil or some nice jewelry.  Gorgeous dress!

Post # 28
    143 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

I think you really can’t go wrong either way — but I think you look more taller without a belt. The ruching already does a great job of flattering your figure. I would only add it if you want that extra bling, but it’s a stunning dress on its own.

Post # 30
    165 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

Thanks for posting the full picture.  I definitely makes me feel like no belt but dress it up with accessories and veil!

Post # 31
    416 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I don’t think you need a belt with the lovely ruffle detail you have at the bottom of your dress. 🙂 It doesn’t look plain at all!

The topic ‘To Belt or Not to Belt? That is the question.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors