- 6 years ago
- Wedding: June 2014
Ok so recently my Fiance, parents and I were talking about the ceremony and the processional songs when the topic of my veil came up. They asked if I had anything in mind, and I said just an elbow length one, nothing fancy, as long as I dont have to cover my face with it. I think veils are most beautiful when trailing behind the bride as she approaches the alter. They got all butt-hurt about what I had said, saying “Every girl needs a veil that covers her face so the groom can lift it and it’s tradition.” We argued about it for a while before I told them I’d think about it. I’m not the traditional type, I’ve always been known to do things my own way, and “blaze my own trails”, if you will. And they of all people should know that. I dont want a veil to cover my face for a few reasons:
1. I am getting married outside, and where we live is generally windy, so all I can imagine is this veil whipping around my face, smudging my lipstick, etc while walking down the aisle and saying my vows…I’d rather it billow behind my shoulders and back.
2. I would very much like to see my FH’s face while at the alter, instead of having to peer behind some tulle material.
3. I will be spending a lot of time perfecting my makeup and the bridal entrance is my “first impression” on my guests, and I don’t want to cover up my face after i spent so much time getting it perfect before being in front of people. Maybe this reason doesn’t hold as much weight as the others, but I thought I’d add it anyway.
4. The photographer we are going to book is known for doing romantic ceremony shots during the vows, and I don’t necessarily want my face covered up. I would like the photo to show us connecting by looking into each others eyes, smiling, etc.
5. I just really prefer veils that fall across the back because of the flow and grace they add.
I don’t want to hurt FI’s or my parents feelings by completely blowing off their opinions, but I figure if I have to wear something, it should be my decision. Is it justified by my reasons, or should I suck it up and let FH lift the veil?
Also, what did you all do with your veils? Any ladies out there who wore a veil over your face?