(Closed) To wait or go for it?

posted 7 years ago in Waiting
Post # 3
3601 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

Which is more important to you? Not being a preplanner or having the september date?

Post # 4
2091 posts
Buzzing bee

If you’ve both decided on a September wedding, I’d just go ahead and starting planning. Although, since you said March is also on the table, I wouldn’t put any money down on anything until after the proposal.

Or, you could just have a chat with you SO and be like “If we want a September wedding, I really need to start booking the big things now. Is it okay if I start planning before the engagement is official?”. Since you’ve both talked about a date already, I don’t see why he’d have a problem with it.

Post # 5
6998 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

i found out about my proposal a week before it happened – stupid me – before that i had an idea but i wasnt sure…i didnt start planning but i did look around. A LOT!

i say its never to early to begin looking – i obviously wouldnt book anything without talking to SO but… researching, getting pricing stuff like that can easily be done prior to jumping into actually planning the wedding.


Post # 6
3222 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I agree with PP, I would start now. 

I had a similar instance: My Fiance and I were looking at rings together, awhile before he proposed. One morning he asked, “what’s your ring size, again?” and I knew…It was coming!

I was so excited I went and told my mom, and she winked and said ‘oh…maybe!’ which gave me the hunch that it was in the works. So I knew I wanted a July wedding (this was last September), and I didn’t want to have to wait either. So I went for it and started lurking on WB, and got the concept together. I didn’t go ahead and start booking vendors until after he proposed, though!

Post # 8
3222 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Honestly I think it’s plenty of time! Depending on where you live, it might be tight for vendors. My best friend planned her wedding in 7 months, and it was beautiful!

Post # 9
269 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Start looking around and get an idea of what you want.  I think that takes the most time anyway!  After you have your “vision” down, then booking stuff will be easy!  I vote to start envisioning now! You know the ring is coming! 

Post # 10
3364 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

I say wait. I dont think you should jump the gun! You dont want to break your own heart in case SOMETHING/ANYTHING/THE INEVITABLE happens! Just stick to your own judgement, you just said you didnt want to be a pre-planner.

When he asks, if the date is available, then it was meant to be! Patience is Golden, shoot I waited 7 years! And I didnt ask for a long engagement but since we were paying for this wedding on our own, we gave ourselves a longer engagement to save up!

Post # 12
668 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

I had wanted to wait until he proposed, but I had no other option than to start ahead.  I have ordered my dress, but know that he won’t propose until Valentine’s Day.  All-in-all it’s comforting to know that we will be married sooner, and that I have some things ‘done and ready’  It helps that he’s planning the wedding with me though, I wouldn’t do it without him.

Post # 13
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

I wouldn’t do anything unless you’re A) willing to tell everybody you’re doing it, or B) don’t care about their opinions.

I pre-planned a little bit – no deposits or anything, but I had a lot of inspiration and ideas for venues that I’d contacted about availability for our lovely fall wedding.

Once we were officially engaged, that pretty much got crapped all over by my husband’s parents, and we changed to July.  I just think once it’s official and personalities get involved, things can change.

The topic ‘To wait or go for it?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors