(Closed) Toddlers & Tiaras

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Haha I’m watching Say Yes to the Dress and I keep seeing those commercials. I can’t believe that the show is actually real and that people actually watch it!!

It’s just disgraceful and those parents should be gagged and tied. There’s nothing at all appropriate about beauty pageants and exploiting poor children because of some screwed up fantasy their parents have. Guh. Seriously, I agree, why is this even legal??? >:

Post # 4
2562 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I watched that show once, I was so creeped out by it. I can’t imagine wanting to dress my toddler up and sexualize them, in order to win some silly contests. I can’t imagine what drives people to do that … 

Post # 5
8353 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2011

Money is what drives them to do this. I agree with everyone. It is wrong. I don’t care how much money my child would be able to make. That show is plain and simple exploitation of children and, in my opinion, should not even be allowed on TV or anywhere.

Post # 7
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Shows like that are &^$%@#* terrifying. I know we’re not supposed to be judgy on here, but women who sexualize their young daughters to exploit them for money/fame/their own unfulfilled dreams are despicable. Children shouldn’t be getting airbrush tans, fake teeth, fake nails, hair extensions or wearing corsets to build a figure that doesn’t exist. Children are supposed to be children, not made up mini-dolls who turn, smile (tilt head to side, bat eyelashes) and wave on command. yuck yuck yuck

Post # 8
2144 posts
Buzzing bee

There is definetely a problem with the parents who allow this, but, in my opinion, the biggest problem is the contests themselves. These pageants could be great tools for the young girls to build a positive self image of themselves, boost their confidence and charisma, and help make them comfortable in front of an audience, but when the contest itself doesn’t have rules to protect these children so that things aren’t taken too far, it’s just plain wrong. These children should not be allowed to be dressed skimpy, or to act “sexy.” It is sickening that the judges and parents can sit there and watch like it’s normal.

Post # 9
617 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

I just saw a commercial for that and wanted to stick daggers in my eyes.  Are you kidding me?!  I will never understand this show.

Post # 10
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

I think these shows are disgusting. I’m all for natural pageants where girls get to show off a talent and public speaking skills while wearing a nice dress. But these “glam” pageants are just wrong and are teaching young girls that beauty means everything and to do whatever it takes to win some money.

However, I think to say that most of these girls are “probably sexually abused at home” is taking it too far. We can judge them on how far they go to put their child in a pageant but we can not judge their home life we do not see on camera. There are thousands of girls who do these pageants and it is almost impossible that most of them are sexually abused. To say that they are is to judge them on something we have no evidence for :/

Post # 11
3979 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

I don’t understand this either… the winnings are not enough to offset the costs of travel, coaches, outfits, beauty maintenance, etc! A lot of these parents are lucky if they break even. It’s a total joke. Not to mention extremely creepy.

Post # 12
2006 posts
Buzzing bee

@Recessionista: I’ve always that that too!! They spend thousands on dresses/training/travel and yet the winning aren’t that much. My only thought is that they are using these pageants as training for when the girls get older and start competing at a higher level. Even then, a very small percentage of these girls will ever make it to that level.

By The Way: anyone ever watch Little Miss Perfect? The guy who runs that pageant circuit is CRAZY (as are the three judges)!!

The topic ‘Toddlers & Tiaras’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors