(Closed) Too hot for an outdoor July ceremony in New Orleans?

posted 4 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: Should I cancel the outdoor portion of the wedding and move it indoors?
    Yes, move it indoors! : (85 votes)
    92 %
    No, keep it outdoors as planned. : (7 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 31
    377 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2018- Stan Hywet Gardens

I was just in New Orleans last week and it averaged 90 degrees. I think it’s too hot to be outdoors.

Post # 32
    611 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013 - Outdoor

Well, I’ve been to NOLA 3 times, twice in the spring and once in July. The trip in July was pretty terrible in terms of the weather, I was working a conference that had me outside all day for 4 days, developed heat rash all over, swollen feet, etc. But to just sit for 20 minutes I think everyone will live. My ceremony was outdoors also, in CA at the end of September, and it still ended up being almost 90, and the guests were hiding in the shade and the groomsmen were being dumb and not seating people, so our ceremony started late- The plan was for me to arrive and the ceremony to start, but it took me getting there for anyone to be like, gee, it’s time to start, let’s get people seated… I ended up having to walk through the kitchen and wait in the office because of it, so it was annoying, but at the same time some things you just can’t control. If I were a guest at your wedding I wouldn’t have an issue with the ceremony at all- I just attended a wedding in Alabama last month where while the cermony was indoors (church wedding) the reception was outdoors in 85 degrees and 80% humidity… and everyone survived just fine for the 5 hours we were out there. 

Post # 33
    2676 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

Not only will it be very uncomfortable, but everyone is going to look like shit after being in the heat and humidity for a prolonged amount of time. If the comfort of your guests doesn’t persuade you to move it indoors , maybe the prospect of being  a frizzy, sweaty mess on your wedding day will? 

I attended a summer wedding in an unairconditioned “historic” church in NJ several summers ago. The couple had obviously chosen it for aesthetics and sentimental reasons without considering the practicalities. I had to go back to the hotel after the ceremony to put my hair in an updo and completely redo my makeup. The men all had to remove their suit jackets during the ceremony, and even so, their dress shirts were saturated with perspiration. An elderly family member collapsed near the end of the ceremony. 

Post # 34
    549 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2015

Yikes. No way would I want to sit outside in wedding attire in 90 degree heat in NEW ORLEANS of all places. Your guests are going to be hot, smelly, sweaty, and probably super pissed at you by the time the reception rolls around. Please don’t do this.

Post # 35
    1833 posts
    Buzzing bee

I don’t even know how this could be a question.  Way too hot and I would definitely decline an invitation to an outdoor wedding in July in New Orleans.

The topic ‘Too hot for an outdoor July ceremony in New Orleans?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors