- 5 years ago
- Wedding: March 2013
Since you threw it up you’re probably fine. If you start to feel sick call your doctor of course.
Take a deep breath and relax, I promise you that your anxiety is worse for the baby due to the excess of stress-induced hormones, than a swig of dodgy orange juice. Generally the effects of any drugs and toxins on a fetus will depend on which trimester you are in, but with such a minimal exposure, that it hardly matters. Rotten fruit juice is definitely not the worst thing you could be exposed to (although this is not scientifically verifiable due to obvious ethical restrictions on research in pregnancy!). The fermentation of the fruit sugars will produce some alcohol (but waaaaaaaaay too little for you to worry about) and might be contaminated with yeasts/fungi (but most likely the harmless kind, and you wont have ingested much anyway). Bacterial contamination is less unlikely, because of the low pH of the juice, but it could contain Salmonella or E.coli – although your risk of getting food poisoning with one swallow which you purged immediately, is very slim indeed.
Having said all that, if you feel sick at all, or can’t stop worrying, go and see you OBGYN immediately, even if it’s just for reassurance. All the best to you and baby 🙂
I would just give a call to your OBs office just to see what they say.
The topic ‘took a gulp of moldy orange juice, baby fine?’ is closed to new replies.