Traveling to Canada from us with an infant?

posted 8 months ago in Babies
Post # 2
6602 posts
Bee Keeper

This is easily googleable

U.S. and Canadian citizen <em class=”rn_Highlight”>infants are not required to have a passport for travel by land or sea – although they are required to present a copy of a birth certificate and, if not traveling with both parents, the Department of State suggest a consent letter accompany the other parent(s)

You can reach out to them in regards to your maiden name/passport name situation, but bringing a copy of the marriage certificate would probably be fine. 

Post # 3
47187 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

candy08 :  From the Canadian government website:

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Post # 4
512 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

We had passports for our kids,  but I took my son by myself to Canada when he was about that age and was asked if I had a letter from the father stating that he was aware I was taking the child into another country. (I did not).  We got through but it wa a real pain. I mentioned this to friends of ours who travel internationally all the time an apparently that’s pretty common if both parents are not traveling with the child (I guess trafficking and kidnapping issues?).  So you might want to have a note from your partner or child’s father (if listed on the BC) just in case. Enjoy your travels!


Post # 6
550 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2015 - Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel

Highly recommend getting a letter if you’re travelling alone with your baby! That’s probably the biggest hassle – proving you’re not running away with the baby haha.

You can get templates online and then just stamped by a notary 🙂

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors