(Closed) Tricare advice?

posted 6 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
4275 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Well it looks like you looked at what the plans are about. I would go with your company’s.

I was on my dad’s Tricare growing up. It wasn’t bad that I could remember, but then I was just a kid….

Post # 4
463 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

After you get married, go to the Tricare office.  There are two types of Tricare.  Tricare Prime and Tricare Standard.

On Tricare Prime, you have no out of pocket costs.  Nothing.  But you are assigned at PCM (Primary Care Manager) and you must see that person for everything.  If you need a referral, they will give you one.  

 On Tricare Standard, you will have to pay out of pocket.  The cost depends on if you see someone in the network or not. Plus, I believe there will be a fee taken out of your husband’s check.  I’m pretty sure it is lower than what you will get at your employer though.  The beauty with Standard is you get to pick your doctor (as long as they accept Tricare and most do.)  

Both Prime and Standard cover everything. Hospital stays, ob/gyn, everything.  I know several mothers who have used midwives on Tricare.  And the ultrasound varies too.  I know some mothers who only had one while others had three or four.  Depends on your doctor and the need for it.  Also, it depends on if you ASK for it.  

I have Tricare Prime and see a military doctor.  I have no major complaints.  I’m not sure how it will work since you don’t live near a major military base.  They will probably just assign you a civilian physician.  

Tricare can be confusing.  Just go to the office and ask.  I’m sure if you decide to go with Standard the cost will be lower than what you pay with your employer.

Also, remember Dental is separate.  I think we pay $11 a month for my dental.  The Tricare office can give you a brochure  on dental that tells you what to do to set that up.

Good luck!  A lot of military life can be confusing, but we all figure it out eventually! 🙂


ETA:  Don’t go to the Tricare office right after you get married.  First, you have to go to the DEERS office and get set up there and get your military ID.  Carry everything with you for that.  Marriage certificate, birth certificate, and social security card.  Also, thats where your husband will update his LES, apply for BAH, and put you on his page 2!  If he wants, he can also update his life insurance at this office to make you his beneficiary.  

The topic ‘Tricare advice?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors