(Closed) Tricare // health insurance question for future army wife.

posted 4 years ago in Military
Post # 4
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012 - Country Club

Hi! I’m an Air Force wife so I have Tricare. When it comes to Prime, depending on where you are stationed they will refer you off base if they don’t have what you need at the medical facility on base. Being a dependent you will have the option to have Standard, but you will pay a higher monthly insurence fee and may have copays or a percentage of the total bill, but you will be able to pick ANY doctor you want. In network doctors are obviously a lot cheaper than out of network. You can find all of this information including in network doctors and fees on their website, hope this helps!

Post # 5
333 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014 - The Celebration Farm

I’m not the best source of information as I don’t use Tricare but I do work in a medical facility and submit all the insurance claims. I will tell you that you’ll have a deductible. I’ve also heard that the copays or cost share are much lower when you seek treatment on base versus off base. For instance, I work in a mental health facility. Most patients with Tricare have to pay around $15-$26 per visit as their cost share. We had a young girl with Tricare come in to get tested for ADD and her mother said it’s far more complicated when getting treatment off base. Just thought I’d give you a heads up on that. I’m guessing with a liver disorder you’ll likely need to be seen off base at some point so I’d definitely ask somebody to thorougly discuss the options with you. 

The topic ‘Tricare // health insurance question for future army wife.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors