- 10 years ago
- Wedding: June 2012
So I saw someone had posted easy instructions on how to “glitter” your own flats, pumps, or whatever for an inexpensive price! I had to try it, as I wanted a pair of blue/navy glitter flats for the wedding. To do it yourself, you only need:
1. Mod Podge Gloss Luster, at least 2 oz (I paid about $3.50! Larger containers are $5)
2. Glitter! Martha Stewart’s has been recommended, and that’s what I used! I got a 1.5 oz container, and I swear I didn’t even need to use half of it. (It was about 5 dollars, but I got it on sale for $3.50!)
3. Foam brush ($0.20 a piece!)
4. Shoes! ($0 for me)
I am planning to do a pair of flats but I don’t have any currently that I can re-do, so I decided to test it out on a pair of black Steve Madden pumps that I got used at a Goodwill! I don’t wear them much and they were a solid color, so I tried it out!
The instructions called for:
1. Combine 2 oz of Mod Podge with 1 oz of glitter (2/3 of the bottle, but I used less), and mix well!
2. Cover shoes evenly with paintbrush. Use Q-tip to clean sides (or you can tape off areas you don’t want touched!)
3. Let dry for 25 minutes. It won’t look great at first.
4. Re-apply same mixture after first coat has dried, covering over holes and spots you missed the first time.
5. Let dry! And that’s it!
Some people have also used sandpaper to rough up the texture slightly (I guess it helps everything to stick properly). You can also use a sealant, like Mod Podge clear sealer spray gloss (which I may purchase)! ANYWAY! It was super easy.. it cost me less than $10 bucks.. and I love it!!
Here’s a before:
LOVE it! 🙂