(Closed) Tungsten Ring causing reaction!?

posted 5 years ago in Grooms/men
Post # 2
Member
253 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

View original reply
dougguynes :  Do you take your ring off when you wash your hands, shower, do dishes etc? I wonder if the rash is from moisture trapped under your ring and that is what is irritating your skin.

Tungsten is usually a safe choice for people with skin allergies and metal sensitivities, as true tungsten allergies are rare. It may be worth bringing the ring back to the jeweler, especially if you have any doubts about the validity of their claims of the ring being “binder” (nickel, cobalt) free. 

Edit: If the reaction persists, aside from obviously seeing a doctor, you should look into Titanium rings instead of tungsten… as it is also considered a hypo-allergenic metal.

Post # 4
Member
390 posts
Helper bee

It may be due to soap and/or moisture getting trapped under your ring and not an allergy.  Be sure to dry well under the ring.

Sadly, Tungsten Carbide can be tainted with nickel as well as stainless steel.  Found this out from a reputable piercing shop after buying high quality stainless steel earrings and getting contact dermatitis from them.

I’d check with the place you bought the ring from to see if you can return it, if this is the case.  I’d recommend titianium as an industrial metal instead.

Post # 5
Member
253 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016

View original reply
minimalistbride :  Ahahaha, sounds like you’ve played the body piercing metal allergy game as well. I’ve had reactions to stainless steel and arcylic jewelry, as well as laytex o-rings. The struggle is real!

I was going to suggest niobium as a possible solution on top of titianium but I don’t think they make wedding jewelry with it.

The topic ‘Tungsten Ring causing reaction!?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors