Post # 1
I have been struggling with this decision for the past two days. I have two job offers, both with positives and negatives and I cannot for the life of me decide which is the better option. This is a great problem to have, but I’m still stressing it. Here’s the situation:
I’ve been at my current company for almost three years. I have a fantastic reputation there and management loves me. The problem is, there has been a lot of change in the past year that has not benefited me. Instead of just promoting from within our team, upper management decided to do a management rotation. My old manager was rotated off and I was left with a new manager and the potential of no opportunity to move up. Then they decided to lay off another team. The environment is now extremely negative. The manager they rotated into my old manager’s position obviously does not like being on our team. My old manager was amazing. He taught me everything I know and sadly for the new manager, everyone kept coming to me once he left for help. Needless to say, it made me disgruntled after a year of doing this for no promotion. So I got fed up at the lack of opportunities and bad management tactics and started looking elsewhere. I’m not going to lie…I’ve invested a lot of time and energy into this company and it would be hard to throw it away.
I got an offer with a Fortune 15 company that moved ito my area recently. For a lateral movement, they offer more money, half the drive and amazing benefits. Plus, I know a lot of people who have also migrated there and they say it’s a fantastic environment. I’d be doing something new, but I would be starting completely over. Since I have no management experience, I didn’t feel comfortable not knowing the business and jumping straight into management. This would potentially put me back at least a couple years to get promoted.
I put in my two week notice. Tomorrow is SUPPOSSED to be my last day. Monday my Director and Manager came to me offering me my Manager’s chair. They moved mountains to make this happen and my current manager would get a position she would be happier in. The catch is, they decided not to be competitive with my Fortune 15 offer. The compensation is higher but really immaterial compared to the new offer. In the end, if I take the job, it’s going to be rough. I anticipate people leaving my current company soon as they’ve discussed this with me. This would leave me with open chairs to fill. As a new manager, dealing with the stress of the environment and the threat of people leaving so soon seems overwhelming. I would be doing this for the title and the experience.
What do you all think? Have you ever regreted not taking a promotion? My Darling Husband suggested I take the promotion at my current company and stick it out for at least 6 months and then leave if I don’t like it. Then I have the Manager title and the experience. The risk with his idea is that the Fortune 15 company will want nothing to do with me if I end up quiting my current job anyway and try to get another job with them (note they are hiring hundreds of people in my field as they are new transplants to the area). Thoughts? I’m so torn!!
Post # 2
My gut says move to the new company.
Toss a coin, and I am sure your gut will give a kick and tell you which way you hope the coin lands..
Post # 3
Honestly it doesn’t sound like besides a title change you are getting much more out of your current company. I would go with the new company that you know is stable. I would maybe ask them first what they think a timeline to promotion looks like, as they may be able to star you as someone interested in leadership and give you an estimate.
Post # 4
I think you should go with the new company. You will pass by a huge chance if you stick to your current job in which I think they are merely fluffing your title to keep you with them. At least if you are a manager with the new company you don’t need to deal with an upheaval of staff from the get go. I think it’s a better idea waiting a couple of years for another promotion with the new company than being miserable in your current work environment.
Post # 5
starlight1222: move to the new company. You’ll have to prove yourself in either situation and you might as well get comped with a shorter commute. That gives you a new salary baseline regardless of title.
Not sure what field you’re in, but in my field, titles are pretty meaningless. What you’ve achieved and what you’ve gotten paid in the past is what matters.
One more thing to consider is that with as much churn as you’re seeing at your current company, the business is already changing and with new hires, people leaving, etc. it will be hard to know how to get traction.
Crossed fingers for you!
Post # 6
I’m also going to say go to the new company. You’ll be happier I think.
A bad environment is still a bad environment, despite the new manager title. Also keep in mind that it is indeed possible to get a promotion at a new job in a short period of time, you just have to wow them and show them what you’re capable of. (meaning don’t rely on tenure or seniority to get a promotion).
Post # 7
starlight1222: new company. I was faced with a similar situation once. Sounds like the old one is trying to make you stay, because they know you are valuable, at a lower pay than you deserve ao they can Save money. Politely decline your old employer and see what they do. If they REALLY want you, they can match your new offer.
Post # 8
I would go with the new company. It won’t necessarily put you back two years for promotion. None of us knows what’s going to happen at our workplace in the future. They could have an exodus of managers for reasons totally unrelated to the company-e.g spouses being transferred, thereby creating openings for new managers from within.
Post # 9
I am going to go against the grain and say you should take the promotion. promotions seem to be your priority, and you said if you start a new job you are setting a promotion back a couple years. If you can get promoted now, do it. Either way, you will be unfamiliar with the new job description. You may as well get some experience now as a manager, even if its a little hectic getting settled in. Even if you dont like the new managment job, give it a year and look for something else. You will have had a year of managment experience and that will set you apart from the hundreds of people going into your field.
Post # 10
Honestly, I could have gone for a manager position at the new company and I know they would have given it to me if I really pushed for it. I just did not feel comfortable because I have no manager experience or knowledge of the new company. They expressed interest in promoting me within a year if all goes well and I agreed that would work out great for me. I’m not desperate for a promotion…but I do fear potentially putting myself behind years. While the new company sounds great….I don’t 100% know what I’d be walking into. Still deciding….lol
Post # 11
Whatever you do though, don’t base your decision on fear… It sounds like from your last update that you’re scared of change more than anything. Trust your gut, and trust your ability to thrive in a new (and better!) work environment! Just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’ll be hard. It might actually be easier because the people will probably be so much easier to work with.
Plus, it sounds like you might’ve gotten some de facto management experience at your current job with everyone coming to you for help… don’t sell yourself short and believe in yourself!!
Post # 12
From previous experience, once the environment goes down and people leave, someone higher up knows something you don’t know… Get out of there now! Specially when you’re going to a stable company. Good luck!
Post # 13
+1 for move to the new company. The current one sounds toxic and is likely only going to get worse. It’s less money, more work, and the potential for more layoffs soon to come (which could easily include you). Time to move on.
Post # 14
starlight1222: Based on what you have written I’d say you want to switch companies. It may feel like a bit of a risk, but no risk-no reward. It sounds like the new company is more open to promoting from within, which generally means a happier environment. I agree with Kazza: it sounds like you already have some experience with management and are mostly concerned about change. Change isn’t always bad and if you don’t like the new company you can always explore options at that point.
Post # 15
starlight1222: I gave my two weeks notice at my current job almost a week ago to jump into foreign territory at a new job starting after my notice is complete.
The new company is a huge company, top 100 employer in Canada and has a huge amount of room for growth and moving up in the ranks as I gain experience. My old company is people that I have known my whole life, and very comfortable with but similar situation to yours.. Things are just not going in a positive direction and moral feels extremely low to me.
I hummed and hawed and didn’t know what to do for a while but I finally decided that the potential for improvement far outweighs the potential for everything to disintegrate as fast as I saw it come Together.
Am I nervous and scared for the unknown future I’ve chosen for myself? Absolutely! Sometimes we have to jump outside our comfort zone to see real change come into our lives.
Take a chance! It could end up being what you’ve been waiting for!