(Closed) TWW – scared & freaking myself out reading online

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
858 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

Tea does actually have caffeine in it. And there are some herbs you can have, and some you can’t, but I just cut it out so I didn’t have to memorize that. Plus, you can have two cups of regular coffee or soda a day while pregnant.

You sound very diligent, you’re doing much more than I did. My advice to you is expect that you won’t be pregnant, because you will be CRUSHED if you think you are and you aren’t. Also, that way the wait goes faster because then you aren’t JUST thinking, “I think I am, I think I am… Oh, let’s take another ‘Am I Pregnant’ quiz!!” πŸ™‚ Good luck though! I hope you are!

Post # 4
1813 posts
Buzzing bee

I think it is just some herbal teas.  I would look up what you did take and stop drinking them in the meantime.  I am a big tea drinker as well and mostly, but not always, skipped tea during my pregnancy. 

I also wouldn’t freak too much about the folic acid.  You are probably getting at least some from your diet, and I think spina bifida (sp?) is pretty rare, though devastating, so that’s why they recommend the extra folic acid to everyone.

Post # 5
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

Whenever I do something wrong (like I didn’t know I needed DHA in my prenatal until I went to my first apt.), I just figure that people had babies for years without taking in extra DHA. Just like the folic acid, while it’s good to have it, it’s really not going to hurt your baby if you didn’t.

I’m sure if you have questions you could always call your doctors office and ask.

Post # 6
2821 posts
Sugar bee

Relax even though it’s hard.  Women have been giving birth to happy, healthy babies without following every single guideline since forever.  It’s great to be aware but don’t freak yourself out.  About the folate – there’s folate in lots of food, especially veggies, so even if you’re not getting it all from a vitamin you’re probably eating plenty – it’s in many fortified cereals, spinach, tomatos, eggs – it doesn’t all need to be from a vitamin (women had healthy babies before the multivitamin – I mean keep taking it but just to put it in perspective).  Read about herbs, there’s plenty that are perfectly safe but there’s some like St. Johns wart that should be avoided.  Most of the time it’s a pretty whopping dose you need but still better to be safe than sorry, so just read up on the type of teas you’re drinking but most likely they’re fine.  One other thing I was surprised at was to avoid massive doses of vitamin C during early pregnancy, a glass of OJ is fine but I have a tendency to take vitamin C when I’m feeling under the weather and there is an association with large doses (again it’s quite large doses) and miscarriage in the first couple weeks.  Google is a friend and enemy.

Post # 8
288 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

The folic acid requirement freaked me out too. I found that Cheerios and Frosted Mini wheats have a good deal of folic acid, and i believe some yogurts do as well. I felt so guilty when i could not keep my prenatal vitamin down i started researching better foods. The best advice i can give you is try to relax, the TWW was so hard!

I also picked up a book on eating healthy during pregnancy online, i really feel like i have never been healthier than now, i drink lots of water and eats lots of fruits and veggies, my husband jokes that i wouldnt put down the candy and sweets for him or swimsuit season, but for the baby i will give it up.  Smile

Post # 10
1116 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I love herbal tea, so I just cut it down to a few I knew were ok.  Mostly I drink just plain peppermint tea, and sometimes in the mornings a green tea with a blend of mints. 

I’ve heard conflicting things about chammomile, echinacea, valerian, even red raspberry, etc etc so I just stick with the mints πŸ™‚

Post # 11
3866 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I drank tea constantly and soda with my son and daughter.  I also had a gallbladder surgery with my daughter while not knowing I was pregnant, complete with a hyda scan (and signed a waver saying I wasn’t pregnant!).

My daughter was a preemie, needed surfactant, but was a 9 on the scale.  Go figure.

My son was a perfect 10 and I ate chocolate daily. and ice cream. and drank soda.  and fell of my rear a couple times. 

I couldn’t take prenatal vitamins OR Flintstone vitamins or iron supplements of ANY kind while pregnant with either kid.  they made me vomit.  literally.  

So, truthfully, I wouldn’t worry too much about it.  Our grandparents went through pregnancies without all these “rules” and dealt with lead-based paint and we’re living proof it didn’t harm us πŸ˜‰

good luck!!!!!

Post # 12
1944 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

@lilsneakers: You are doing great! FYI you are allowed to have 200 mg of caffeine a day, about 1-2 cups of coffee. However tea only has 10-15 mg of caffeine in it (black tea). I do not drink herbal tea but I do know there are some herbs that are not good in pregnancy.

Also on folic acid, many many citrus fruits have folic acid in them as well.

Post # 13
1835 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

Darling Husband and I got pregnant when we weren’t really trying. I hadn’t been taking folic acid, I drank my herbal tea that I wasn’t supposed to be drinking every day, coffee was my best friend, I was working 60-72 hours a week. I was doing EVERYTHING wrong. And our baby is right on track! You’re doing a lot better than most women and you’re definitely giving your future child the best chance at start πŸ™‚

The topic ‘TWW – scared & freaking myself out reading online’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors