- 7 years ago
I’ve been lurking for a long time. Just thought I would finally properly introduce myself, because I keep wanting to comment on threads. Also, it seems like it would be polite!
I feel a little silly being here because I’m unlikely to get engaged for a loooong time. My Boyfriend or Best Friend and I have been together nearly 3.5 years, but the following factors are currently preventing our engagement:
– Grad school: I have at least 18 months to go. I will have no time to plan until I’ve finished.
– Location: “Not while we live in this town”, says he. (Various features of this small town have meant that he would like to move from here as soon as I can graduate and come with him).
– Family: I have briefly met his family, but I’ve never spent any amount of time with them on their home turf, as his hometown is far from where we live and hard to get to. That should change this Christmas :-). His explanation: “Why buy the cow when you don’t know if it… uh… fits on the farm…?”.
– Financial: Grad School = Minimal Income + Massive Student Loan Debt + Delayed Career Start = No money for a wedding
So, my current plan is:
– Work as hard as I can to get through grad school faster (the Bee doesn’t really help with this… :-/)
– Enjoy doing singley things before I’m married
– Keep doing fun coupley things with Boyfriend or Best Friend when I get breaks
– Do what I can to prepare myself for marriage (not just a wedding)
– Use WB to dream…
Are any other waiting bees in similar situations?