33 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Hello all! I’m a may bride ! X

Post # 8
1813 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Hi! I’m a brit, but am already married – but when I see UK, I get all excited! Ha!

Post # 9
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

In answer to your qs, I’m probably getting married in Cambridge, if the one venue I’ve picked out on the internet is as good in person. It’s been really tough… we have a huge guest list, a small budget… and an old-fashioned idea about hospitality which will see us serve a plated meal, a buffet, and provide all the alcohol all night. Therefore we neded a place which would let us self-cater… seriously… have you any idea how few places in the UK let you self-cater?

Ugh. Please ladies… everyone needs to share more UK wedding issues here, seeing as I think the US bees have slightly different issues to us sometimes!

Post # 10
484 posts
Helper bee

Me too! My Fiance and I are getting married in Oxford next June, I’m so excited!! 

There do seem to be differences between US and UK weddings – especially the ‘cocktail  hour’ which seems to entail a full buffet from what I gather! Also, is the first look common here? I get the impression that most brides in the UK see their groom for the first time that day at the altar.

Post # 11
7992 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

@Oxfordnerd:  First looks? My feelings are as follows…

“Gaaaah… first look bad luck don’t do it not that I believe in superstitions because I don’t but even so… “

(I believe the lack of punctuation and grammar above only serves to display my feelings on this point even more accurately.)

Post # 12
138 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Me! August 11th 2013 🙂 Getting married in Nottinghamshire – I can’t wait! I’ve got an appointment with my wedding coordinator in a couple of weeks to carry on planning.

Going for a full on vintage theme as I have a TON of mismatched china and I’ve always rocked that look.

I’ve been planning my wedding for 2 years already – we booked the venue, cars, florist, photographer, cake etc. while I was still in uni which I finished last year as we wanted to wait until I’d finished my degree.

I’m super excited!!

I agree abou thte differences between UK and US brides. I don’t get the whole first look thing, cocktail hour and I’m paying for all of my bridesmaids dresses etc and I think that’s traditional over here.

-Tara xoxo

Post # 13
484 posts
Helper bee

@Rachel631:  Haha, I completely agree! Although being Dutch the tradition I grew up with is that the groom picks up the bride at her parents’ house – which is kind of like a first look. My sister did that last May and it was lovely! But yeah, the romance of walking into the church and seeing your almost-husband at the end of the aisle for the first time is something that I’ll never want to give up. Even though it does make the timeline a bit more problematic as the photo session just isn’t as leisurely as when you would do it beforehand. How much time are you bees leaving for photos post-ceremony? Not sure how long I can have guests milling around with a drink in their hand and not much else to do…

Post # 14
4040 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Me! We’re getting married in Glasgow August 12, 2013. We’re in a slightly different situation. Fiancee is Scottish, I’m American and we both live in the USA. His family is still there and we’re having the wedding in Glasgow but doing all the planning from the USA.

Post # 15
1813 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

@Rachel631:  A lot of my friends who have got married over the last few years have usually gone for the marquee option, which instantly cuts costs.  Another tip a friend of mine had was when contacting regarding catering, do NOT mention the W-word, there was a dramatic price-difference.  Another went and contacted a catering college and had a fantastic experience.

Post # 16
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Me!!!! Laughing We’re getting married May 2013 in rural north east of england. Cant wait! Going for an intimate fresh romantic theme, with no mention of “fairytales and princess'”!  

I agree, UK and US wedding traditions certainly differ, im going out of my way to make sure my groom has no idea of what i look like on the big day until were standing side by side. No first look for us! haha

The topic ‘UK 2013 Brides!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors