(Closed) UK 2013 Brides!

posted 8 years ago in United Kingdom
Post # 77
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

View original reply
@StaticIanC:  Your last post got cut off… but I did see the dress. Looks fine to me… I’m just really impressed that you got it for £50! Was it an Oxfam Bridal job?

I’m trying to think about how you could change it if you don’t like it. What was it you didn’t like? Was it the colour? Because you could sew some edging on top of that black to lighten it, and swap the black buttons for white ones easily enough. You could also make yourself a sash, but I’m not sure how well it would go with that dress. I like it though. When you said it looked dated, I was expecting something really horrible, with 80s puffed sleeves or something!

I’m also impressed you managed to get everything so cheaply… I’ve struggled like mad to get anything even remotely approaching affordable. What’s the secret?

Post # 78
118 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Hi all,

I got engaged a couple of weeks ago.  Nothing planned yet!  Hoping to get married September next year, but struggling to find venues that aren’t booked up yet ๐Ÿ™  Hoping to find a venue for the full day either in Hampshire (where we live) or Wiltshire (where my family live) or anywhere easily accessable from those places.  I think it almost makes it harder having such a wide area to search in! 

Think our budget will be around £10,000.  We’ll keep it as low budget as possible, but prepared to pay for the things that are important to us within reason (decent photographer etc).  Probably looking to cater for ~80 people for the ceremony and wedding breakfast and then a few more for the evening.  Going to have lots of children at our wedding, we’re both in our 30s and lots of our friends already have families (makes guest list a bit difficult when friends come with +3s or +4s!).

Rx

Post # 79
355 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Hey guys!

Who is providing alcohol for your guests? (ie no cash bar)?

I’ve been told this isn’t standard in the UK (FI is British), but I’m thinking some of you with the bigger budgets must be providing it?

I’m American, getting married in the UK, and whenever I say we’re providing alcohol, British people look at me funny!! But in America, it’s considered tacky not to do that! So I’m just curious who’s doing what….

Post # 80
65 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

View original reply
@SupermarketGirl:  there is no way I would  be providing the alcohol, couldn’t afford it for a start, if I was you I wouldn’t worry about it, I think weddings are dear enough without paying for everyone’s drink.

As far as I know I think you only pay for everyone’s drink to toast the bride and groom.

It’s entirely up to you but in my opinion I think everyone should pay for there own.

Ive been to a few wedding receptions(husband to be is a wedding singer) and never came across a free bar yet.

Save yourself some money and explain to your friends and family from America that’s it’s different over here also I think its frowned apron if the bride or groom buys there self a drink at the bar as Out of politeness it’s there friends and family that buys them there drink….( thats how our friends nfamily’s do it anyway when it’s a celebration ) 

Will be interesting to see what the other brides say on this situation 

Xx

Post # 81
355 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@StaticIanC:  Oh, I have to provide my guests with alcohol! It’s far too ingrained in me, I’m afraid! Hopefully the British people will appreciate this American tradition!

Post # 82
255 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

hi im british and getting married in yorkshire next september, currently living abroad so cant wait to get back to the uk for our wedding 

Post # 83
4113 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
@SupermarketGirl:  I think you are I are very similar – I’m American, Fiance is British. We are doing the wedding in Glasgow so his parents can attend. I’m with you – we are providing all the alcohol for the night. Fiance is a big wine/scotch fan so having wonderful food and drink was the thing that was most important to him about the wedding.

Post # 84
355 posts
Helper bee

View original reply
@Glasgowbound:  Oh I’m glad to hear we’re in the same boat! It’s funny…people keep telling me how much I could save if I had a cash bar…but it’s just so taboo in America, that I can’t bring myself to do it! I’ve always been taught that you shouldn’t buy things if you’re a guest! Are you getting shocked replies when the Brits find out what you’re doing? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Post # 85
118 posts
Blushing bee

I find the different customs and traditions between US and UK weddings really interesting.  It’s true that cash bars are the norm over here, but then on the other hand we pay for all the bridesmaids and groomsmens outfits and we also don’t tend to have as many parties beforehand, such as engagement parties and bridal showers, so don’t have as many items ‘gifted’ before the wedding.  We do also provide quite a few drinks – welcome drinks, wine with the meal and champagne for toasts is the norm, so we don’t leave our guests completely thirsty ๐Ÿ˜‰  It’d be interesting to see how it balances out costwise.

Post # 86
259 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

UK brides…where are you having your Hen do/weekend??

Post # 87
22 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: April 2013

hey girls xx i am getting married april 2013 in nottingham, i live there with my Fiance. I am wearing an oyster dress and our colour scheme is dusty pink and ivory. I am so excited i cannot wait to get married xxxxxxxxxxx hope all planning is going well

Post # 88
2 posts
Wannabee

it’s really interesting reading everyone’s posts.  I’m British but our family weddings have always been free for guests and I’ve been to only a couple of friends’ weddings where they had a cash bar.

p.s getting married in London next year, just keeping fingers crossed we can get the venue we want.

x

Post # 89
2 posts
Wannabee

it’s really interesting reading everyone’s posts.  I’m British but our family weddings have always been free for guests and I’ve been to only a couple of friends’ weddings where they had a cash bar.

p.s getting married in London next year, just keeping fingers crossed we can get the venue we want.

x

Post # 90
28 posts
Newbee

View original reply
@beccaplum:  I have 4 bridesmaids and they all have different dresses as we couldn’t find one to suit everyone! Completely changed dates so now a christmas wedding in Gulidford! My colors are an aqua color and light pink with little bits of gold. What about you? Where is your wedding?

The topic ‘UK 2013 Brides!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors