(Closed) UK bees? I need some help!

posted 4 years ago in Wellness
Post # 3
421 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2011


I am not sure what benefits you can get, but I suggest you make contact with the citizens advice. It sounds like you are still quite poorly which is prob making it harder for you to make sense of what is on direct.gov. They can help you to understand what is avaliable and also to make claims etc.

I feel for you, as was off work with PTSD a few years ago – its nasty, but I hope the docs have referred you for treatment as well as just signing you off.

take care

Post # 5
5104 posts
Bee Keeper

@Princesslaylaxo:  I was going to suggest looking it up on Direct.Gov but see you have an appointment @ Citizens Advice, so good luck with that, I am sure they will help you and point you in the right direction. Hope you feel better soon.

Post # 6
440 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Good news on the appointment! Maybe the doctor who signed you off could give you some pointers too? Anyway, hang in there. A lot of us have been through it and there is light at the end off the tunnel 🙂

Post # 7
404 posts
Helper bee

Yes, you’re entitled to ESA (and housing if that’s an iddue), you apply for this through the jobcentre plus. It’s pretty much the same amount as JSA. When you apply, they’ll send you a hideous form, and you have about 13 weeks from the date of application until they review it. You need to make sure you fill in all forms and give all information as if it was the absolute worst day, they pretty much try and stop anyone getting money.

Now, just so you know, and no one official can tell you this, but they reject pretty much everyone. You then need to appeal. You can win this and they’ll let you be on ESA for 2 years (I think) with no issue other than having to get another sick note.

I can possibly answer more questions if you need. Good luck!

Post # 9
199 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@Princesslaylaxo:   I work in HR and just wanted to mention;

Depression can be considered a disability under the Equalities Act and the Company is required to make reasonable adjustments to any provision, criterion or practice you operate that places him at a substantial disadvantage compared with non-disabled people. A failure here will constitute disability discrimination.

If the employee does not feel comfortable coming to the workplace then the Company should consider offering to go to their house to discuss the situation instead. Or, alternatively, ask the employee to set out concerns in writing.

You absolutly need to talk to Citizens Advice about this to see if you may have a claim. A Company has a duty of care and if they are seen to not have made reasonable provisions for your illness you may have a strong case.

How long ago did you resign from your position?

If you want to send me details of company communications etc in a private message I can give you some more info and advice. 


The topic ‘UK bees? I need some help!’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors