(Closed) UK bees – please show me your e-rings in the £1500-£2000 range

posted 8 years ago in Rings
Post # 32
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@MsBeer:  I’m in the uk! I got mine from goldsmiths, it’s a vera wang one with a beautiful hidden sapphire. I must say I wasn’t very impressed with the customer service at goldsmiths but I am really really happy with my ring.

Post # 33
1887 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

@LilLis:  I went back to get my ring cleaned a couple of months ago and I spent a loooong time looking at all the window displays 🙂

Post # 35
3065 posts
Sugar bee

My diamond ring, which was a present for my 50th birthday, was the same price as the UK High Street but is much better quality.

I imported a round 0.51 G VS1 Hearts and Arrows Ideal Cut (A Cut Above, certified by AGS) diamond into the UK from the US diamond company Whiteflash.  I had the 18k yellow gold setting specially made for me by Mappin & Webb in Glasgow.

The total cost including 20% UK import duty and postage from the US was £2,600.  The ring has been valued by a professional valuer at £3,800.

If I were to do this again and had to stick to a budget of £1,500 – £2,000 I would choose a diamond that still had the very best cut but I would go lower on both clarity and colour.  I would use a US company such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Brian Gavin or James Allen and buy both the diamond and the setting from them.  (There are a couple of other companies – Blue Nile and 77Diamonds but they tend to depend on cut angles rather than inspection by a gemologist to determine cut quality). 

So, for example, I might choose a diamond that was H, I, J or K and down to S1 in clarity.  If the cut is excellent you will still have a more spectacular diamond than everyone else you know.  In short, compromise on everything except cut.

If you want to look at coloured diamonds then try ‘Diamonds by Lauren’.

Importing a diamond was very easy.  We ordered it and when it arrived in the UK Customs rang us up and we paid the duty by credit card.  The diamond then appeared by courier the next day.  We could even track the progress of the diamond online.  Please note: the diamond was only insured by Whiteflash until it arrived so I had to make sure that after that point it was covered on my house insurance. 

If you don’t want to do this I would recommend that you go to Hatton Gardens or the Birmingham Jewellery quarter.  Tell them your requirements and get them to give you a number of diamonds to choose from.  Insist on an excellent cut and certification.  Ask for a range of colours and clarities.  Don’t let anyone bamboosle you into choosing high colour or high clarity because it has little effect on the beauty of a stone.  The vast majority of people cannot tell the difference between a D and an I colour stone once the diamond is set in the ring.  Nor can they tell the difference between an IF and a VS2 (and sometimes even an S1) clarity stone unless they carried a x10 magnifying glass with them. 

Just go for excellent cut and (if you are considering round diamonds) certification every time.  The toughest certificates are the American ones: GIA and AGS.  Hearts and Arrows is a classification with extra symmetry of cut.  Most excellent diamonds have a hearts and arrows pattern.  Not all hearts and arrows diamonds are good diamonds. 

Look at the diamond(s) in different lights and not just under jewellers spotlights.  Insist on seeing the diamonds in daylight and in a dim corner of the room.  Look at the diamonds near and far away.  Please note that even five diamonds, all excellent cut, all the same colour and clarity,  will not look exactly the same.  This is because diamonds are like kaleidoscopes: tiny changes in facet angle gives a different pattern of sparkles.  Just choose the diamond that appeals to you.

My last piece of advice is to try lots of rings before you think about ordering  anything or visiting the diamond quarters.  You need to choose something that you like.   It will also tell you what shape of stone you prefer.  I thought I would prefer a pear shape or an oval but they didn’t look right on my hand and so I ended up getting a beautiful round stone instead.

Post # 36
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

@MsBeer:  this is mine it was over the £2000 price mark but there are others that are under and if you wanted to get a custom ring it’s nice to see little touches in others x (sorry for the rubbish phone pictures)

Post # 37
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Hi, I’m also a UK bee who went with moissaniteco! We wanted a bit of bang for our buck, we were on a budget and it seemed like a good option – I was a bit nervous, but their service was superb, and the ring is (I think haha) spectacular.  I’ve seen plenty similar on these boards but nothing like it at home.  It’s a 2.5 FB cushion cut in a diamond band, size 5.5.  All in, shipping and taxes etc, was about £1250. And I love it so much, I’ve bought the matching wedding band – it’s all ready to go for Saturday!! Whoop!!

Post # 39
1530 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@MsBeer: Thank you! I love my set so much. Really I cannot recommend moissanite gemstones highly enough. I do own diamonds (purchased or given to me years ago) but I will never buy another one now! I know you were asking another Bee, but if you’re interested, no one has ever questioned if my ring is “real”. And the only negative comments I’ve ever heard are from other Bees online, never in real life. Personally, I told all my friends about moissanite (nobody had heard about it before, it’s not really known here), but I had very specific reasons to tell. If you don’t have those specific reasons, and you go with this gemstone, I would suggest that you not mention what your stone is to other people…unless you get so excited you just can’t keep the secret! No one will ever ask, and if the size is surprising you can truthfully say your Fiance got a great deal by buying in America. I think there’s this kind of diamond “magic” that you miss out on if people know you don’t have a diamond, even if you have something that costs more! So why not have the best of both worlds at a better price?!

If you’re interested I posted some relevant thoughts in this thread: http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/moissanite-at-its-worst-pics-vids-post-yours#axzz2nukoUCp1

Post # 40
26 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 2016

@MsBeer:  it’s no problem at all 🙂 if it weren’t for other bees sharing their information I wouldnt of known about it ! So now it’s good to help.

but definetly consider it because it’s a beautiful stone and especially if you gave a certain budget and want a bigger stone ! I went with it for ethical reasons also which is even better personally for me .

Good luck with your search anyway and would love to see what you end up getting 🙂 

Post # 41
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 2013

@MsBeer:  I don’t mind at all, ask away! I have not had one person ask me about the stone- my grandma is pretty good with jewellery and there was never even a raised eyebrow. i think because we don’t see many moissanites (or hear about them) in the uk, that isn’t peoples first guess. I do get comments about the size, always good though, and you’ll know living in the uk that to see more than 1ct is rare. I cannot describe enough how beautiful the stone is, so clear and sparkly and I work under halogen lights so my customers get an amazing spark every now and again.

we do exactly what a pp said and say my Fiance got a great deal stateside. Which is true! We also tell them my Fiance proper job title, an aerospace engineer, which sounds a lot more lucrative than it is!! The few people I have chosen to tell have loved the science and reasoning behind it, and said they never would have guessed. I don’t try to ‘pass it off’ as a diamond as such, if people ask details I say it’s a 2.5 cushion cut, and that’s normally it. I found out about moissy on the bee, and am sooo thanklful — but the only negative comments I’ve heard are on here.

FWIW, my Mother-In-Law would have been like your mum and sneered at anything other than a diamond. So I just didn’t tell her, and we’re both happy.

Post # 42
160 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

We got my engagement ring back in 2008 when prices were lower.. husband paid £850 for it, but we’ve since had it valued at £1500 since then. It’s beautiful (well, I think so haha). My wedding ring was £1000. Both from Goldsmiths.

Post # 44
3 posts
Wannabee

View original reply
Tootingbee:  Hello Tootingbee!

Your ring is exactly what i want/need in my life! It is beauty personified! 

Do you mind sharing more details on the Jewellers? I work 5 mins form Hatton Garden so would love to pop by!

Also what are the specs of the ring? Size of the center stone and total weight, colour and clarity and width of the bands? Also what is your ring size? And is the 2k for the engagement ring only or including the band? So sorry for the 21 questions but i need this ring! lol

Thanks in advance!

Soon To Be Mrs SB xxxxxx

The topic ‘UK bees – please show me your e-rings in the £1500-£2000 range’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors