(Closed) unbooked caterer wants me to give him 300 bucks for “his time”?!!Would you pay?

posted 8 years ago in Food
Post # 32
2232 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I agree with PPs, you owe him nothing. There is no contract therefore there is no money owed to him for consulting. I asked multiple vendors and caterers to send me quotes, which I guess meant they were probably tentatively holding a date. At any time that they had another inquiry for my date & I hadn’t made a decision, they told me.

This guy is just being a dick.

If he tries to drag your name through through the mud kindly remind him that he’s asking you to pay up when there was no contract signed.

Please PM his name. I want to make sure none of my friends use him.

Post # 33
929 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012 - Sunset Harbour

Do you have a family laywer? I would ignore him completely and reply to any further emails with your lawyers information and tell him to go through him/her.

I work in one of ‘those’ towns so I know how people can get black listed pretty easily, so I appologize that you are going through this. My best advise would be to keep is professional and let him be the one to look foolish.

Post # 34
2232 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@fivemonthsnotice:  Seeing all of that you have done nothing wrong. He can take you to small claims court all he wants but for for $300 any judge is going to laugh in his face since there is no binding contract, he never even got back to you about what you for a deposit.

Post # 35
1275 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Oh please do not pay this guy anything. Quite honestly, it doesn’t seem like you need to be in any contact with him anymore. You did not have a contract and if he gives you the “he’s professional” BS then he needs to learn how to be professional when he is not chosen. You owe this man nothing!

Post # 36
5656 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2012

lmao, He’s not going to go to court for $300.

Also, he has no case.

Just ignore him.

Post # 37
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

I wouldn’t pay him anything. Just ignore him. He’s an idiot.

Post # 38
107 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Still regardless of what you said, there wasn’t a contract or deposit. You need both to actually book. We have had plenty of brides “commit” just to not book, so we never mark it off the calendar or even think they have booked until we have both. He made a mistake and seems to be taking it out on you? I mean I would have been weary if he didn’t send me the quote too. 

Plus we have consults with tons of brides who don’t book, it’s part of doing business, I wouldn’t email them asking for money that’s crazy! His case won’t stand up in court, in your last email you were still saying you needed the final menu to finalize everything. 

Post # 39
2086 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

Stop calling him.  Stop emailing him.  Only respond if you get something from a lawyer.  It sounds like he’s puffing out his chest. 

No check and no contract = no obligation

He may want to run his business in another way, but that’s how it works.

Post # 40
9544 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

I sounds like he’s trying to bully and scare you into paying but I’d bet good money that he doesn’t have the nerve to actually take it to court. He’s just hoping you’ll cave. DONT CAVE!!!! Good luck!

Post # 41
4479 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: March 2010 - Calamigos Ranch

No, you shouldn’t pay him, and you shouldn’t respond to him anymore, either. Consultation fees are not the standard in this industry and since you didn’t have an agreement to pay him one, he doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Post # 42
14969 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

HAHA!  I’d just laugh at that.  Dont give him a dime.

Post # 43
120 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I agree with the pps, just ignore him. The cost of him making a claim will be far more than the $300 he is demanding so he would be a fool to go down that route. I think he’s just trying it on.

Post # 44
3569 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

Wow how rude! I think you guys owe him nothing, but bad reviews. If we had to pay every vendor we contacted but didn’t end up choosing can you imagine the amount of money that would have been wasted!

Post # 45
2819 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Until you sign a contract, nothing is stricly legal.

However, because in your e-mail you mentioned “dropping off a cheque if all looks well”, he might have assumed that that meant you wanted him to book the date for you and that you were just waiting on the revised menu to send the cheque itself.

Post # 46
208 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

What about calling the Better Busines Bureau?  If you did not sign a contract you have no obligation to him.  A business owner should not be threatening potential clients and it sounds as if he is WAY out of line.  I agree with a previous poster that if you have a lawyer already, inform them of the situation and give them his contact info.  Let them deal with it.  He has NOTHING on you and frankly, you don’t need to be dealing with stresses like that during your wedding planning.

Good luck, and please update us!

The topic ‘unbooked caterer wants me to give him 300 bucks for “his time”?!!Would you pay?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors