(Closed) unbooked caterer wants me to give him 300 bucks for “his time”?!!Would you pay?

posted 10 years ago in Food
Post # 47
1293 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012 - Pippin Hill Farm & Vineyards

The BBB is a pretty useless entity.  Review sites (Yelp, Wedding Wire, etc.) seem to have far more power if you want a specific result these days.

She doesn’t really need a result…she just needs to ignore the guy.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 48
218 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

Call him out on his procrastination – he said he’d get you something right away and didn’t, whereas someone else you were considering was totally on top of it, and that’s how you made your decision. It’s business, and him being a jerk to you only shows what you’ve probably avoided as you prepared for your wedding!

What he’s really mad about is that his not doing what HE promised lost him your business and he’s taking it out on you. Send an email explaining why you made your decision (other caterer got back to you in TRUE ASAP fashion) and wish him the best. Ignore him otherwise. 

Post # 49
1490 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

Give that guy a terrible review on Yelp and Weddingwire- that is no way to run a business.

Post # 50
2294 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

This guy is a ridiculous nightmare. Don’t pay him a dime! Good luck dealing with this idiot, post reviews like the others have suggested and keep a paper trail. No contract= no payment. I don’t get why that’s so hard for this guy to comprehend.

Post # 51
6533 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

Ummmmm. Jerk!

You didn’t have a contract with him, so he doesn’t really have any ground to stand on. He’s probably just trying to get some money out of you by hoping you’ll feel threatened and pay up to avoid a lawsuit.

Post # 52
56 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: January 2017

@fivemonthsnotice:  This shows what an unprofessional person he is anyway. I’d be happy you dodged that moody bullet. No contract = no payment of bill. If he takes you to court, save all that correspondence. In fact, email him back in the interest of recency, and TELL him you never signed a contract. That way each of you has in writing that no contract was signed, and you have a paper trail affirming that. 

I wouldn’t worry. He has no leg to stand on.

Post # 53
815 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Ummmm…he sounds like a complete crazypants! ‘How would you feel if I cancelled on your wedding because I found a better deal?’ So what is he saying it was rude of you to pick another caterer that you found a better deal with? Um, that’s business dude!

He seriously sounds like a psycho and I think it’s laughable that he’s calling YOU unprofessional.

Post # 54
1131 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

@mink:  I agree. Just stop paying attention to him. The more you contact him, the more this will escalate.

Post # 55
2961 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

WTH?!?  That is ridiculous!  You don’t owe him anything.  It is standard to shop around for wedding vendors, and the consultation is part of that process.  Glad you found out he was such an a-hole now and not after you signed a contract to work with him!

The topic ‘unbooked caterer wants me to give him 300 bucks for “his time”?!!Would you pay?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors