(Closed) Unconventional way to do pie & ice cream?

posted 7 years ago in Food
Post # 3
46323 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

You could have them make ice cream balls ahead of time and roll the balls in coconut, cookie crumbs or leave them plain. After they are frozen, they can all be placed in bags for storage and they won’t stick together.

This way the caterer can do all the work ahead of time and not have to station someone with the ice cream to do the scooping.

Post # 4
2600 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I know what you’re looking for – and I know why they can’t seem to do it. 

They won’t put a 5 gallon tub of Ice cream out because it will end up melting and there’s no way to save ice cream that’s done that… so they’d use the entire tub.  Depending on the laws where you are, they may not even be allowed to let people scoop it themselves (weird, I know).  Plus things need to be temperature controlled per health codes so they wouldn’t just let it sit there.

Prescooping is something I’ve done in the past as a pastry chef and seen done as a planner/coordinator later in my career.  It takes a LOT of time, it’s not very pretty and it takes a lot of storage space.

Unless they have access to an ice cream cart, that really is the only way they could do it. 

If you have a Ben & Jerry’s in the area or even an established local place… try calling them.  B&J has a catering side, too and many locations have the carts and will come scoop for you or do the mini containers of it. 

Sorry I’m not of more help! Good luck!!!

Post # 7
46323 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

The caterer should be able to provide or rent any equipment  you need to do your menu-including ice cream.

They can rent a freezer or use dry ice.

The topic ‘Unconventional way to do pie & ice cream?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors