(Closed) Unmarried Parents…How do I word the invitations?

posted 8 years ago in Paper
Post # 3
302 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I haven’t seen how to do that.  I know divorced parents are to be placed on separate lines.  Perhaps you could state “Mr. A. Jones and Mrs. B. Jones request…”  That way you are still keeping them separate rather than Mr. and Mrs., but you are putting them on the same line to indicate togetherness. 

Post # 4
633 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@smrlovingrl:  I’m not etiquette guru, but I would probably put

Mr. John Smith & Ms. Jane Doe
Request the honor of your presence
… and so on

Post # 5
2363 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@smrlovingrl:  I was going to suggest the same thing as the PPs:

Ms. Hillary Rodham & Mr. William Clinton
request the honour of your presence

If they were divorced, you would write:

Ms. Hillary Rodham &
Mr. William Clinton
request the honour of your presence

Post # 6
11231 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

“Mr. John Jones and Ms. Jane Doe request the honor” ?

Post # 7
892 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2014

If I were to do it I would write something like:

Mr. Robert Parker & Ms. Sarah Williams

I remember reading about addressing invites for doctors, and I guess you could use the same idea here.. I copied this from http://weddings.about.com/cs/invitations/f/doctorinvite.htm

“Etiquette dictates that the spouse with the professional title is listed first. If the woman is a doctor, but her husband is not, write: Dr. Lucy Wallford and Mr. Christopher Wallford, or, if they have different last names, Dr. Lucy Jones and Mr. Christopher Wallford”.

Your parents may not be Doctors, and the example above is for the envelope, not the invitations but, I think the same thing would apply. Just use their proper first and last names, his first then hers.

Hope this helped! =)



The topic ‘Unmarried Parents…How do I word the invitations?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors