(Closed) UPDATE Bees who know makeup – I need your help!!! ($500 Sephora vs $80 Target)

posted 7 years ago in Beauty
Post # 47
794 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

I think you did a wonderful job!  There are already a few good suggestions for minor tweaks here that will help make it perfect:  soften the line a bit on the bottom lashes (smudge it in after application, and make sure to apply it directly on the last line so it just enhances your lashes), swap the foundation for a bit liter shade, and add a bit of hilighter under the brows and to the inner corner of the eyes.  Don’t think you have to buy expensive to get good quality stuff, it’s nice to splurge when you can but not everyone can afford top dollar cosmetics.  If you find a good quality foundation that matches your skin tone (which it may be worth going to a makeup counter and having a professional help you with that), you can always match drug store foundation to that color later when the expensive stuff runs out.  

Post # 51
552 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

@JenGirl:  i used to be a makeup artist and honestly think you did a better job than the lady at sephora, hah.  as long as you wear a good primer you should be good to go.  and the better your skin is, the better the makeup will look!  i’m not a fan of finishing sprays but more so a fan of a setting powder like the one from smashbox. and remember that you want your makeup to be a little heavier (eye makeup) than normal to show up in photos. the amount you have on now looks good – maybe smudge the bottom a little more.  and blend, blend blend your foundation/bronzer/etc.! i don’t know why the woman at sephora did the darker color on your lid and a lighter color in the crease???? yours looks way better.  always darker in the crease and maybe a light shimmer on the brow bone. also, maybe do a thin line of eyelinger on your top lashes, too. looks like you just have it on the bottom.

yay makeup! 

Post # 52
1285 posts
Bumble bee

i kinda think your foundation looks a bit orangish. Mabye try to get a better color to match your skin tone color. You can see the line all the way around your face. 

Post # 53
552 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

ohhh. and urban decay eyelid primer is a lifesaver. you MUST use this if you don’t want your eyeshadow creasing!!! totally worth the splurge and a little big goes a long way!

Post # 54
1310 posts
Bumble bee

Ooh, I’m sorry I didn’t see your original post – I love giving makeup advice! (Can you tell I used to work in the luxury beauty section of a pharmacy? LOL)

This advice may be a little late but here goes.

Stuff I wouldn’t get from Sephora: cleanser, moisturizer/eye cream, lipstick (L’Oreal has an amazing glossy stain, and Maybelline balm stains are a great stick one – depends on the texture you like!), mascara, eyebrow filler (you can just get an eyeshadow that matches your hair colour and apply it with a slanted brush, or you can get a drugstore brow pencil)

Stuff that’s worth the price tag: face primer, eye primer (ESPECIALLY THIS!), foundation (especially if she matched you well), highlighter (a good one makes you look like you have perfect, luminous skin and most good ones are high end; I LOVE the one they recommended to you. If you’re really on a budget though, NYX Mosaic in Highlighter is very decent)

Stuff that can go either way, it’s your call whether to spend that much: concealer (Maybelline Fit Me is a great one that makeup artists seem to love across the board), bronzer (bad ones make your face look dirty, but you already have a Lancome one at home that should be decent), blush, eyeshadow ($$$ ones tend to blend better and be more pigmented but on your wedding day you probably want a more subtle look so it doesn’t have to be super-pigmented)

***Make sure you use waterproof eyeliner & mascara! ๐Ÿ™‚  And unless you tend to be oily, I don’t think finishing spray is necessary.

RE: this post

Naturally, because the girl at Sephora does this for a living, it looks better than DIY.  But I think your attempt looks very good for someone who’s not used to applying makeup!  If you like the colours you chose (for lips, blush, and eyes), stick to them – I think you can totally pull off darker hues. Plus like a PP said, you want your makeup to be more dramatic than usual because it’ll photograph better. The foundation does need to be better matched, though.  I think foundation’s worth the splurge because you really need one that photographs well/won’t look off with flash, etc.

Don’t bother to learn to contour!  And if you practice, I think you’ll get more comfortable as the big day approaches and be happy with the result. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good luck!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, I have a feeling that if you reacted to a pro MUA’s makeup before…it probably wasn’t the makeup.  I think maybe her tools weren’t properly cleaned & sanitized – that’s usually the culprit. :S

Post # 55
498 posts
Helper bee

Does finishing spray feel sticky? I am imagining hair spray like feeling? And doesn’t it make people break out? And what about your eyes- doesn’t it get in your eyes? I am too grown not to know these basics about make-up ๐Ÿ™ oh well

Post # 56
1880 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
@CandyKate:  Thanks for posting that reddit link. I went down the reddit rabbit hole for like six houes last night. I’d had no idea there were makeup and hair reddit subforums.

Post # 61
1310 posts
Bumble bee

View original reply
@JenGirl:  Ooh, just realized I made a mistake!  It’s not Maybelline that does the balm stain, it’s Revlon.  ๐Ÿ™‚

The topic ‘UPDATE Bees who know makeup – I need your help!!! ($500 Sephora vs $80 Target)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors